Chapter 7; Heroism

(Told from Loki's Point of view)

Professor Dumbledore escorted us back to the great hall, where we were later joined by flustered looking Ravenclaws, Hufflepuffs and Slytherins.

Dumbledore explained the situation to all of them, and then told us that we would be sleeping in the great hall, and made a hundred sleeping bags appear on the floor.

I settled into one in between Harry and Hermione. "So... that was a strange turn of events."

"For sure." Harry commented. "I knew something like this was going to happen soon— Black was bound to find a way into the castle somehow."

"Sure... but this early? I'm impressed." I say, glancing over at Percy, who was shepherding some stray Gryffindors to empty sleeping bags.

Harry sighed. "I wish Black wasn't after me."

I scoff. "You didn't need to tell me that, I don't think anyone would like that."

"Alright everyone, get inside your sleeping bags!" Percy announces. "Hurry up!"

"Come on." Hermione says, laying down. "Black won't lay a finger on Harry while Dumbledore's around."

"Hermione, he nearly just did." I say, also lying down and pulling the sleeping bag over me. "We can't keep pretending like Harry's completely safe."

"Have any ideas how he got in?" Harry asks.

"He couldn't have disapparated, and he couldn't have just flown in... I honestly don't know." I say.

"Why not?" Both Ron and Harry ask at the same time.

"Read Hogwarts; A History." I mumble, too tired for their lack of knowledge.

Someone turns off the lights in the great hall, and it all goes dark. Nobody speaks, and I can feel people start to drift off to sleep.

It felt strange, trying to sleep in a room full the entire Hogwarts student body. I wanted to maybe dream hop into someone's head, and enter their dreams, just for fun. I look over at Hermione, who's just pretending to be asleep. I turn to look at Harry, who's doing the same.

I decide that it's best to just sleep, because it's not like anyone's going to come in here and whisper something that's mind blowing. In the end, I just end up forcing myself to fall asleep.

...

The school talked about Sirius Black for the next few days. Fortunately, this had a few positive side effects— one, I met up with Malfoy during one Quidditch practice to show him my broom, and he finally agreed that I had won the bet fair and square. Now I have ten galleons to spend on whatever I want at Hogsmeade.

And two, people had completely forgot about the incident in the first Defense Against the Dark Arts class, which believe it or not, people were still talking about before this incident.

And another thing— there was a Quidditch match coming up! Gryffindor versus Slytherin. Oliver was making a huge deal about it and I wasn't a huge fan. He pulled me over during one of the practices— specifically the one where I made the quaffle disappear and made it only visible to the chasers— and gave me some... "talk."

"Listen, Odinson—"

"Loki is just fine, no need to be so formal."

Wood scowls at me. "I take no crap during our practice sessions. We have to take the match very seriously. And with you screwing around half the time we'll never be able to practice, and we won't be ready for the match. Especially in the conditions we may be playing in. So you listen up: play by the rules, and remember that there's no way I'm going to take any more messing around from you."