Chapter 8; Broken Spirits

(Told from Loki's point of view)

Unfortunately, our happiness was short-lived. At least, Harry's was.

Someone retrieved his broom after the match, or I should say, what was left of his broom.

It had flown into the Whomping Willow, a very violent tree at the edge of the Hogwarts grounds. He was in a mourning mood after that whole incident, and nothing we could say would cheer him up.

I felt bad that I made no attempt to save Harry's broom. Harry said he didn't blame me in the slightest, because I still won us the match and saved him, and there was no way for me to know that his broom would have landed in that particular tree. Nevertheless, I felt guilty. I knew I shouldn't be, but I couldn't shake the thought that it was my fault that Harry's faithful broomstick was now a pile of splintered wood.

Oliver Wood was still very happy, and he was still training us with boosted determination and high spirits. I admired his perseverance, but he was getting a little exhausting.

On a happier note, Professor Lupin was back and teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts again. Harry even started to be happier, because Lupin promised Harry anti-dementor lessons that would help him defend against the horrific creatures.

To everyone's excitement except for me and Harry's, there was another Hogsmeade trip coming up. As I mentioned, Snape had so kindly organized my detention on that specific day.

So I woke up at 8 o'clock that day and sullenly got dressed for detention. While everyone else was sleeping in, I had a small breakfast and entered the dungeons for my detention at 9 AM.

"Ahh, right on time." Snape announced as I entered, my hands behind my back. He gestured toward one of the closets on the wall. "In there are dirty cauldrons. All of them must be cleaned before you can go. Without magic. You may begin."

I didn't open my mouth or complain, but only opened the closet and set to work.

I didn't speak a single word throughout the entire detention. I only worked tirelessly on cleaning the grime off of the cauldrons.

It was 2:00 when I finished. It was crazy how long it took me, and people were already back from Hogsmeade when I had finished.

I wished I had been able to go to Hogsmeade. If only I could've been in two places at once...

That phrase lit a up a thought in my head. I immediately started to sprint up and down the halls in search for Hermione— only she could do this.

Sure, she'd disapprove, but she wouldn't need to know.

I spotted her curly brown hair as I sprinted down the halls, and I took her into a deserted classroom.

"Where are we going?" She asked me.

"You need not know..." I say softly, placing my hand on her forehead. Her eyes close shut and her body goes limp.

I take the Time Turner off from around her neck, and place it around mine. I turn it 5 times— 5 hours back.

I spin it. A few teachers enter the classroom for a few seconds and then leave as the clock turns backwards very quickly for a few hours.

And suddenly, time returns to normal, except it's now 9 AM again. I smile victoriously, and run back to the common room.

I approach Sir Cadogan, who looks quite surprised to see me again. "Good sir, did you not just leave a moment ago?"

"I did, but that doesn't matter. Scurvy dog." I say, which was the passcode. He kept changing it every few hours, and it was extremely annoying.