Chapter 10; Another Heist?

(Told from Loki's point of view)

Harry and Ron were both angry with Hermione, and they were holding on to my promise to retrieve the Firebolt from McGonagall.

But seriously. I'll have stolen two Firebolts in the span of five months. That must be a new record.

When the rest student body had returned, Wood immediately started up quidditch practice again. During the first practice, he had approached Harry regarding his broom.

"Well we can't have you riding that shooting star against Ravenclaw, we have to get you a good broom!" I overheard Wood saying.

"I got a Firebolt for Christmas." Harry said gloomily.

"Never fear, for Loki is here!" I announced.

"You got a Firebolt?" Wood asks, ignoring me. "Two international standard brooms on our team? We're going to be unbeatable!"

"Yeah, well it was confiscated by Professor McGonagall for jinx testing." I explain. "But that comes to..."

"Are you kidding?" Wood asks, outraged. "I need to speak with her—"

"There's no need, really. I'll have it back in a day." I explain happily.

Wood drops his broom. "You're going to steal it?"

"Nonsense! How could you accuse me of stealing something so precious?" I laugh, recalling the beginning of the year where I had done just that. "I'm only going to trick her into thinking the tests had already been done."

Wood raised his eyebrows. "I... I can't let you do that."

I smirk in return. "You can't let me? Maybe you can just let it slide... for the good of the team? It's your last year to earn the cup, after all..."

He considers it for a moment, but then looks away. "I'm sorry, I didn't just hear you say anything whatsoever about tricking any teachers... whatever, I think I'll just go back to brooding that Harry has no proper broom..." he winks at Harry and me.

I smirk at him and we continue the practice, not discussing a word of our conversation. (Which never really happened.)

I secretly tell Fred and George what I'm about to do. While Harry is doing his dementor lessons with Professor Lupin, I head down to Professor McGonagall's classroom, assuming that's where she is.

I open the door, invisible, and I walk in on her having a discussion with Professor Snape.

"Are you sure you're going to be able to do the anti jinx tests? You know I'm perfectly capable of doing it myself." McGonagall was saying.

Damn. Snape's the one that was doing the anti-jinx tests. That made it a whole lot more complicated.

"Of course I'm sure, and I know you're capable, but I would feel more comfortable if you were to let me do it." He responds. The Firebolt was sitting on the desk in front of them.

I was fully capable of manipulating McGonagall's mind, but I very much doubted that I would be able to read Snape's mind as easily as hers, if I even could. And what's worse, I don't think I'd be able to trick McGonagall in front of Snape either.

"Ok, I was just wondering why you were so eager to do the tests." McGonagall says defensively.

I was rehearsing my options inside my head. To not leave a trace... would be pretty difficult.

I noticed that Snape had walked around to the other side of the table with the Firebolt and was no longer making eye contact with Professor McGonagall.