Bet

Shortly after Ponyboy left, Carol came to me with her books ready to check out.

"These are for a dang project, for college." She smiled and put four history books down.

"Yeesh," I said. "Glad I don't have to deal with that kinda stuff."

I knew I didn't have the money for college right now, and there was no one I could ask for help. To hell with loans, no thank you. I don't want to be paying off the ridiculous price of being taught things I already know until the day I die. I had it all planned out, work small jobs and do the best I can. The rent for this house I was in was crazy cheap, and so I didn't have much to worry about.

"What do you have a plan for?" Carol asked.

"What?" I asked back.

"What do want to do with your life?" She asked simply.

"I don't know..." I paused. "I guess I'll just work small jobs and struggle until I die."

"Or," She started. "You may meet someone you'll fall in love with. Live with him, he's only good if he let's you have a job."

I grinned and started stamping the books. I didn't say a word.

"What's that smile for, Darla?" Carol asked.

"Nothin'." I said.

"No, Carol grinned. "you've found someone, haven't you!?"

I whispered as sternly as possible while laughing. "Darla you shut your mouth this is a damned library!!"

Carol started laughing and grinned. "Who is it, who is it?!"

"Darrel Curtis!! The man next door from me who raises his younger brothers!!" I grinned.

Carol smiled real big. She covered her mouth and smiled. "Good choice. Darrel may be a grease, but he's a cutie."

A car honked outside, and Carol grabbed her books. "I gotta go, I'm taking my books home and then I'm going on a date. He's a soc, you wouldn't know him, but give me a call and I'll keep you posted!" She wrote her number down on my hand and smiled, and she was out the door.

___

Ponyboy came back in with Johnny shortly before closing. Dallas had brought them by in the T-bird, and had waited outside. Ponyboy and Johnny were both searching for the same book, I didn't catch the name. They made a bet that whoever found the book first would buy the other popcorn at the Nightly Double.

"We have about three minutes until we close." I told them.

"Okay!" They said, running as quick as possible to find what they were looking for. I didn't care that they were yelling and laughing, there was no one else in here but me. No need to worry about being loud.

Johnny ran up with a big smile on his face, holding the book in question. He was grinning ear to ear, and yelled to Pony who was running closer. "Eat that, Pony!" He laughed.

"Come on, Johnny!! I almost had it!!" Pony complained. I just laughed and looked at Ponyboy and his friend.

"You actually gonna check this book out?" I asked.

Johnny nodded and smiled, he leaned on the counter and popped his denim jacket collar. "Yea, if it's no trouble Darla."

"You're so sweet, how could I say no to you huh?" I stood up and got the stamp kit back out, quickly stamping the book out for him. I placed it on the table for him to take, and he did so.

"Hey," Johnny started. "You wanna come to the Nightly Double tonight?"

"I can't," I said. "I have some housework to do, I really shouldn't."

Johnny nudged my arm as I walked out from behind the counter, smiling. "C'mon Darla, you can go on two dates with Darry!"

"Yea!!" Ponyboy yelled. "I'll tell him you're coming!!"

I didn't have anything to lose. The housework could be done anytime.

"What the heck." I shrugged. "Sure, I'll go. Can I get a lift home?"

Johnny nodded. "Sure. Dal won't mind."

I grabbed my bag.