Don't Worry

It wasn't long before Darry showed up at the DX. I was on my second bottle of Nehi, and Johnny was now eating a chocolate bar.

Pony looked out the glass window of the DX, he swallowed almost nervously. "I know he's not mad at me, but he doesnt look happy."

"Oh man, here he comes." Soda mumbled.

Darry pushed the door open, and he looked our way. "I take it they left?"

Dally nodded, leaned up against a vending machine, smoking a cancer stick. "Uh-huh. Took off after saying some bullshit about us being at the Double tonight, go figure."

Darry shook his head. He looked our way. "Alright. We are gonna show up. If they start something, we finish it. We know it'll be them starting it, not us."

I nodded, looked down the neck of my soda bottle.

"Hey." Darry said. He walked up to me where I sat at the table in the DX, put his hand on my back. "You gonna be okay?"

"Yeah." I took a sip. "Just tired of them always ruining our night. Or trying to. They think it's funny or something."

"Its how they get their kicks I guess..." Two-Bit rolled his eyes and took a drink of his beer. "They start something, one of you is gonna have to get my ass outta jail."

Darry walked over and slapped the back of Two-Bits head. Darry walked to the drink machine and grabbed a Pepsi as he opened the door, letting it shut behind him. He popped the cap off on the underside of the desk. "You ain't going to jail. No one is."

I sat there staring out the window. I told Darry I was fine, but I wasn't. I wasnt thinking about how much I hated Richard. I wasn't thinking about my parents. I wasn't thinking about how worried we all were about the fact Richard was trying to claim the Double like it's WWII or something. I was thinking about how this night was gonna affect my night with Darry. I was supposed to tell him how I feel about him, if Darry didn't tell me first. If Darry was gonna tell me at all.

I was thinking about if I would get a chance to tell him tonight, or if I would have to wait. I was thinking about what would happen. Would Richard chicken out, and would the whole night go fine? Or would someone wind up hurt? How many people would Richard bring?

"Darla. Darla!"

I turned around quick, seeing Soda yelling at me from the register. "Darla, you okay?"

"Huh?"

"I asked if you were okay? Been trying to get your attention for a minute but you've just kept staring."

"I'm...I'm fine, sorry." I stood up.

Dally was leaned on the wall behind Darry, his arms crossed. "I was trying to ask if you wanted to go ahead and grab a bite to eat before tonight?"

"Yeah," I started. "Sounds fine to me. After we finish eating, we are heading back to your place, right?" I looked at Darry when I mentioned his place.

Darry nodded, uncrossing his arms as I walked closer to him. "We should really talk about this whole rumble that might happen tonight."

I nodded, and without thinking, I just wrapped my arms around his torso and hugged him tight.

I felt eyes on me but I can't say I cared. No one said anything.

Darry hugged me back without hesitation. He rubbed my back a bit, then moved his hand to my shoulder. "It'll be okay. Trust me, alright? Don't worry about it until the time comes."

I nodded, and pulled back from the hug.

"Now you do me a favor and go grab something to eat. Don't need to rumble on an empty stomach huh?" He grinned.

I smiled back--I felt a lot more calm. "I'll bring you back a cheeseburger or something."

"Better being back a burger for everyone else. They get pissy when they're excluded." He pointed at Soda and Steve.

"Do you think I'm made of money?" I snickered.

Darry laughed. "I'll see you when you get back."

I nodded with a happy smile now, and walked out the door of the DX. I hopped back in the T-bird and was followed by Dally, Two-Bit, Pony and Johnny.

I looked at Dally as he started the car. He looked at me, and the boys leaned up from the back.

"Dairy Queen?" I asked, looking at Dally, then to the back.

"Dairy Queen." They all chimed in.

And Dally spun out of the parking lot, and we took off down the road.

I remembered what Darry said. I took his suggestion and tried not to worry about anything yet.

I was bound to make this night turn out the way I knew it should.