Like Hell

"Dear Darla,
Your dad is in foul health. He's fallen ill with some sort of cough, it doesn't sound very good. The doctor said it's too early to tell what it is exactly, but when I find out, I will mail you again, since we can't call you. We were wondering if you would come down for a visit, to see your father? I'm not sure how he will fair after this--you know hes been smoking and drinking as long as we can remember. We love you, and hope to hear back from you for once.

Love,
Mom and Dad."

Like hell I'm gonna come visit. I swore I was done with them and its not gonna change. I decided I might write, I just don't need to let Steve know. He won't be happy if I write back to them. From the way it sounds, dad still drinks and mom still potties him. Not interested. "Hear from you for once." Alright.

I grabbed a piece of paper, a pen. I sat at the kitchen table. I had some time to kill before me and the gang went out to the double.

I started writing.

"Dear Mom.
Sorry to hear dad isn't in good shape. If he stopped drinking and binging cancer sticks, it might help. I've been busy, got a job up here and I've been spending time with friends. Most likely, I wont visit, so please don't keep your hopes up. I still haven't moved past all the things you and dad have done, and I think it's understandable. I'm sorry you have been so worried, but being distant has helped me move on.
Darla."

I'm not giving anyone my phone number. Not them. Wouldnt wanna get a million phonecalls for nothing.

I don't know why I try to console her, why I sound so sweet when I write. I shouldnt respond at all. I guess part of me still cares about them, in the sense they raised me, but it's how they raised me that's keeping me away. I'm not over it, so I dont have to be.

I stuffed the letter in an envelope, crammed the stamps on it, filled it out, and walked to the front door. I twisted the knob and when I opened the door, I got a surprise.

"Shit!!" I jumped.

Ponyboy and Johnny were at the door, Johnny's hand raised to a fist, about to knock. "Geez Darla, didnt mean to scare ya."

"Well you did--" I stumbled on my words, leaned up in the doorway. "What do you two little trouble makers want huh?"

"Well, we were gonna ask if we could hang with you until we hit the Double tonight?"

I laughed some, and I nodded. "Sure, why not. You've already took the long, strenuous walk over here." I motioned my head to the Curtis house.

Ponyboy snickered.

"Get your asses in here, I'm gonna go stuff this in the mailbox. If this winds up in your brothers mailbox, that's a problem."

Pony and Johnny laughed, walking into my house together. I walked down the steps and to the mailbox, popping the lid. I heard the rumble of an engine. A Jaguar. I closed my eyes and sighed, I was too tired to deal with this. I put the letter in the box and shut the lid as the Jaguar rolled slowly up to my feet. Richard was in the drivers seat, and he brought his dumb friends.

"Mornin' Darla." He revved his car up.

"There are enough of us between these two houses to jump you, your friends, and then some. I suggest you stop acting tuff and get lost."

"Oh, I dont want trouble. I just wanted to tell you not to come to the Double tonight, we will be there."

I looked at Richard. "Is that a joke?"

"Its a threat."

"You trying to start a rumble?"

"Yeah."

"Well we arent doing it at the Double. I'm not the person you need to talk to to organize it, either. And we are still coming to the Double, whether you like it or not."

"And why is that, Darla?" He rolled the R in my name, his buddies laughed.

I leaned on my mailbox. "Because I dont give a shit." Richard looked at me in shock, the rest of his gang jeered. "Its just as much my Double as it is yours. Now get off this road before Steve or Dally sees you're here. Or worse, Darry."

"Ooo~" Richard hummed. "That your little loverboy?"

I shrugged. "Well if he is, I guess you're just jealous I'm with him and not you."

Richard grumbled. He rolled his eyes, shrugging some. "Not missing much. Wouldn't wanna date a grease."

"I can say the same to you. Wouldn't wanna date a guy that rides around town starting shit with a girl to look tuff for his buddies."

His buddies jeered, but this time, at Richard.

Richard glared at me, he pointed in my face, I saw his class ring. "You'll regret that Darla. You'll regret saying that, tonight at the Double."

"We'll see about that." I turned away from the mailbox and started walking up to the stairs.

"Oh, and Darla?"

I turned around. "Yes dear?" I said sarcastically.

"There's more where we came from."

I shrugged. "Cool. Tell your friends I cant wait to meet 'em."

I walked inside as the car sped off. I shut the door and locked it.

Johnny looked at me, he stood up off the couch. "What was that about?"

"Yeah!" Pony chimed in.

"Richard Cantrell said not to come to the Double tonight. Said it's his turf, or whatever." I walked over and cut the radio on, stacking some books on my table. "Said hes bringing his buddies, that he wants to start a rumble."

Johnny and Pony looked at eachother. "We should tell Darry." Pony said.

I glanced out the window, and saw Darry on the porch of the Curtis house. He was watching as the Jaguar took a turn off the block.

"Don't worry." I said.

The boys looked at me.

"Something tells me he already knows."