Love Advice

"Why are you taking love advice from Dally?"

I cut my eyes at Two-Bit. I sat beside him in the floor--he was watching Mickey, Darry had walked out and was now doing yardwork, Ponyboy and Johnny were now talking about books on the porch. Dally had gone to Bucks for something and said he would be back, and I think Steve and Soda had went to the DX for a bit.

"Who told you?"

"Dally. He said he was talkin' love advice with you."

"I oughta knock him down in the next rumble...."

"Why, you tell him to keep hush?"

"Yeah." I crossed my arms. "And you better keep hush to, because I don't want Darry findin' out."

"Darry, huh?"

"Yeah."

"Knew it." He laughed.

"I think I'm just gonna talk to him at the Double tonight. He said we were all going, and that he needed to talk to me so maybe he'll beat me to it." I shrugged, messing with the carpet. "I don't know."

Two-Bit nudged me. "You'll be fine. You know he'll dig."

"I hope."

We were quiet for a moment, Two-Bit sipping his beer.

"Shit!"

I jumped. "What?"

Two-Bit stood up, wavering just a little bit. "I'm outta the good stuff."

Johnny walked in with Pony, pocketing his cigarette pack and a lighter. "May as well get the whole pack, you'll go through 'em anyway."

Ponyboy laughed, nodding in agreement. "Yeah! It'll save you some trips!"

Two-Bit nodded, grabbing the remainder of the pack. "Good idea!"

Darry leaned up in the front door, wiping his hands with a cloth. "And you took that literal why?"

I snorted and watched Two-Bits' face scrunch up, pissed. "Well now hold on a damn second!"

We all started laughing, Darry shutting the front door. "I'm gonna take a shower here in a few minutes, got the yardwork done. Thanks for the help Ponyboy, really appreciated."

I raised a brow, Pony rolled his eyes and elbowed Johnny. "You hearing this?"

I snickered. "You stood there and watched him didnt you?"

"Mhm." Pony laughed and sat on the couch again with Johnny.

I stood up. "I'll head home, get some work done at the house and take a bath myself. I'll come back before we head to the Double, if that's okay?"

Darry nodded, walking to me. His forehead was drenched with sweat, the temperature was rising outside. He took my hand. "I'll come get you whenever we leave, we can all walk over to the Double together again."

I blushed, and I nodded looking up at him. "T-That sounds fine, yeah." His hands were warm, strong. Made me feel safe.

"Yuck!" Pony spat.

Johnny giggled and elbowed Pony. "Yeah, get a room, lovebirds!!"

I snickered and tucked my head, Darry ruffling my hair. He looked at the boys. "I'll kick y'all out!"

I hugged Darry with a laugh, pulling back and looking up at him. "I'll see you soon enough, okay?"

He smiled, and he nodded at me. "See you then Darla."

I walked to the door waving at Pony and Johnny. "Mind your own business, you two."

They laughed as I walked out, carrying my things, glasses on.

I hated leaving, but it was good to know that I was gonna get to see them all again tonight. I was nervous about going to the Double, to be honest. Not that I had a reason to be, but I still was and I couldn't help it.

I walked to the Curtis mailbox, slinging open the lid. I looked up at the window--there stood Darry. His arms crossed, grinning. I pulled out my mail from his box, sure enough, leaving his in there. I held the envelopes up, waving them a little to show him I had them. He started laughing, and so did I. I shook my head, turning to walk to my house.

My house was only 10 steps away, but regardless of how far it was, I was always on the look out for the Socs' pulling something. And with what happened last night at the drive in I didnt want to take any chances. I walked through my door, locking it behind me. I looked down at the mail in my hands, leaning back against the door.

One bill for the electricity, some notes from the library, and a letter.

It had my moms handwriting on it.

This should be good.