Run!

I walked towards the exit of the Nightly Double, right next to Darry. I was holding onto my bag of popcorn that I didn't finish--and I was still munching on it. Think I was gonna let it go to waste?

"Told you tonight would be just fine!" Two-Bit yelled, staggering around. Steve knocked the beer out of Two-Bit's hand, laughing with him.

"Man, Two-Bit, that ain't even got a drop left in it, and your so plastered you keep tryin' to drink!!"

We all laughed and Two-Bit hit the ground cackling.

"Alright, alright, boys let's keep it moving..." Darry laughed, and I felt his arm slip around my shoulders. I don't know why it surprised me at this point, or why my cheeks kept getting red. They just did.

I heard Ponyboy whisper-yelling behind me. "Johnny, Johnny look!" I heard him slap Johnny's arm.

"Come on man cut it out! What do you want man?" Johnny grumbled--then Dally put his hands on the sides of Johnny's head, turning his head to look at me and Darry.

"Oh...oh...oh, man, that's what! I tell you, I didn't know your brother was capable of love, Pony!"

Darry cut his head quick and looked back at them, he stared at Johnny. "If I didn't love y'all I wouldn't sneak you into a drive in, you dipstick."

I put my head on Darry's shoulder as we walked. We walked to the exit--the man that was standing there selling tickets to begin with narrowed his eyes at us.

"Did I see you all walk in and pay?"

Darry, Dally, Two-Bit, Steve, and the rest of us all went quiet. Two-Bit gulped--Steve picked him up and made a run for the exit. He explained his action alright. He yelled "RUN!!" and we all did just that.

The ticket man chased us for as long as he could manage, until we all made it down about three blocks laughing as hard as we could. Hell, even Darry was laughing.

Steve threw his hands up and waved to get our attention, he was out of breath--putting his hands back on his knees. "Can we all just crash here tonight Darry?"

"Yeah," Dally said as he lit a cancer stick. "Man I think Johnny's folks were in a fight again, I don't want him goin' back to that. I can't take him to Buck's."

Darry waved his hand around some. "Yeah, yeah, get on in there. I ain't telling you all where to sleep, so just fight for where you wanna sleep."

Soda held the door open for Steve, who had long dropped Two-Bit. He looked at Darry. "What about Darla?"

"What about me?" I shot.

Soda held his hands up in defense. "Well if you're staying here, where are you sleeping?"

I shrugged. "Hell, I'll take the kitchen table if I have to. I know you, Pony, and Johnny will wind up in your room right?"

Soda nodded. "Probably so." He hummed to himself, walking to the couch and sitting on Steve's lap like he wasn't there. "Two-Bit usually passed out in the floor, or anywhere he can make it. So once he's out he's out."

Dally put one of the dining room table chairs near the wall, and put another in front of it. He leaned up in the one on the wall, kicking his feet on another, tossing his jacket over his eyes.

"Looks like Dally is fine." Johnny said as he laughed, elbowing Pony. Pony laughed to.

"She can camp with me." Darry said. "Got a change of clothes and everything?"

I stared at Darry. I looked at my clothes, and shook my head. "This is all I've got-"

Two-Bit sat in the floor, slurring as he watched an episode of Mickey. "She can borrow some of mine, or Soda's. They fit her."

I shrugged and nodded. Then it dawned on me what was said. Darry offered for me to sleep in his bed. With him. Man, this night just keeps on getting crazier as time goes on.

A loud snore came from the kitchen and we all looked that way. It was Dallas. He snored from under his jacket, and his cigarette fell from his fingers right onto his pants.

"Oh Hell." Steve said. "Just wait for it."

Sure enough. Moments later, Dallas grunted from under his coat. He slung it to the floor and kicked the chair over, slapping his leg knocking the cigarette off, and flopping out of his chair onto the cold kitchen floor.

We all started laughing, Two-Bit cackling. "Come on Dally, didn't your momma ever teach you that smokin' was bad for ya?" He cackled some more.

"Hey!" Dally snapped, pointing at Two-Bit with his eyes narrowed. "Don't get wise, man!"

Two-Bit laughed and shook his head, flopping back onto the floor. He would be out in a minute.

"C'mon." Darry chuckled, shaking his head. He walked toward his room, nudging my arm to follow.

My heart skipped, and after a second, I followed.

"Oooooooo~"

The sound came from Ponyboy and Soda.

Darry popped his head out of his room. "I'll skin you two. Don't make me."

The brothers shut up real quick, and I stuck my tongue out at them as I followed Darry.