Nervous

"So you're the broad that Darry talks so much about huh...?" Dallas said as he drove towards the Curtis house. "He never did have good taste."

"Wow. Thanks Dallas. Nice to see you to." I rolled my eyes, he laughed at me and threw a wink into the mix.

"I'm just bein' wise..." He started. "But really, I never pictured Darry with a girl like you. I never really pictured Darry with anybody, I guess." Dal said.

"We aren't 'together'..." I said. "Yet." I stretched my arms up--Dallas had the top down on the convertible and I put my arms behind my head. "We haven't even gone on a date. Well. We are tonight--I guess. But he doesn't know it. We have one planned for tomorrow--" I rambled.

"You're nervous." Pony blurted, a grin on his face. Dallas hit a pot hole in the road, we all rose out of our seats. "Dal, c'mon man watch the road?"

"You wanna drive Ponyboy?" Dal retorted. "I'd like to see you try."

"I'm not nervous!" I lied. I was nervous. I don't care if neither of us had never been on a date, or if Darry was nervous to. I was nervous as hell and I wasn't ready to admit it to anyone. Except Darry.

"Look, Darla." Johnny said. "I'm sure he's just as nervous as you are!" He hasn't had a date since highschool I bet!"

"He took this one girl out for a date once a year back or so, and he hated her so much that he begged Steve to help him get rid of her." Ponyboy laughed.

"God, I remember Steve telling me about her! She followed him home for the next week and would knock on your door at all hours of the night." I said.

"Goodness," Johnny laughed, running a hand in his hair and tugging his denim coat down. "Sounds like she needs to be in the loony bin."

"Talk about it." Dal agreed.

We pulled up to the Curtis house and Dally parked on the streetside. He hopped out the door, didn't bother to open it.

Ponyboy and Johnny must have thought it was cool, because they did the same.

As soon as I walked into the Curtis house, there was an outpouring of affection from everyone to me. The smiles, greetings, waves, hugs, and whistles. Steve, Two-Bit and Soda were all there, waiting on Darry to get home. Soda had just slicked his hair back, he was grinning at me.

"So you're going out with my big brother huh?" He cooed.

"Mhm." I said. "Bet you wish I was going out with you, huh?"

"Oooooooo!!!" Two-Bit drawled out, grinning and cackling when Soda threw the newspaper at him.

"You goin' out in that?" Steve asked, pointing at my clothes.

I was still in my clothes from the library.

"Shit--" I snapped. "No, I'll be right back."

My house being right next door had it's advantage. I ran in and ditched the fancy pants and sweater, putting on some tight rolled jeans, tucking in my black tee, and throwing Steve's old denim vest on to complete the look. I tossed on my old sneakers and tied up my hair, and was back out the door in less than three minutes.

It was just long enough for Darry to show up right before I walked back into the Curtis house.

"I'm back!!" I yelled as I came in the door. Steve grinned, and laughed a bit.

"Didn't take you very long. Scared you'd miss something?"

Darry was staring at me from his place in the kitchen. He was drinking some coffee, shocked. "Ponyboy, you knew we were having guests and didn't clean this joint up?"

"Darry," he started. "It's never clean."

"Bull," Darry argued. "That ain't true." He whacked Ponyboy on the head with the newspaper. "What are you doing here, Darla?" Darry said as he walked over to me.

"Johnny and Pony coaxed me out of housework and into going to the Nightly Double with the gang." I stated simple.

"Have a seat, I've gotta take a shower and get ready, and we'll all go." Darry started unbuttoning his shirt on the way to the shower. "I'll be out soon!"

My cheeks got hot.

I sat next to Two-Bit in the floor, who was drinking beer, watching Mickey Mouse, and eating chocolate cake. He elbowed me.

"He digs you, you know?" He giggled

"Well, I know now."

Yea. I was definetly nervous.