8. THE SECRETS

SHE WAS CALLING MY NAME, over and over again. Nervous, I peeked from the door frame, only to see her sitting amongst many, many empty wine bottles. Apparently, the mess was mine to pick up, so I dutifully did as I was told. Even so, she threw her empty bottles at me, and I was left to pick up the shattered glass. She told me I was useless, and that she would put me back on the streets, where I belonged. Like the glass had, I shattered too. I cried alone in my room: it was always like that. The light shifted, and this time, she was holding me, telling me how much she loved me. I sat wide eyed, shut-down, not knowing how to respond anymore.

I woke up, tears in my eyes. The nightmares were really draining me. I looked at my bedside clock. I was a little past 6 a.m., but there was no way I was going back to sleep. I sat at my desk, and continued the dress I had been working on. Probably because of the noise I was making, Maya woke up. "My lady? What's wrong?" She asked, her eyes sleepy and half-shut. "Oh, nothing, Maya. I just don't feel like sleeping anymore, don't worry." I reassured her, in a hushed voice. Probably still half-asleep, she only gave me a nod before falling back onto the couch-bed.

After breakfast, we were all notified that a full background check had been performed on each and every one of the sixteen remaining selected girls. The news left me feeling deflated. I decided spend the rest of the day in my room, alone with my thoughts. I knew I would be sent home any time soon, having lied about my name to cover up the fact that I was working in the palace, on a contract that still had time left to it, at the time I applied for the Selection.

Knowing that my time was ticking away, all I could do was mourn the fact that I hadn't seen Ethan in so much time. I mourned that I'd never get to see his smile, his laugh, up close again, that I'd never get to know if his lips felt as good on mine as his arms felt around me. I'd never get to pass my hand in his long, brown waves, and I'd never get to understand what made him so reserved, and what he was thinking of when he was looking so sad. I wanted to get to know the boy I'd been crushing on for so long, and now that I was starting to, I don't know how I could ever let him go.

I was ready to be dismissed, but it never happened. Instead, Richie Grover, a Four from Zuni, was eliminated for prior shoplifting charges. Apparently, she had also been stealing things from the palace and was only in it for the money. "I was there; I saw everything!" Agatha exclaimed, as we sat around her in the Women's room. "Richie told Prince Ethan to his face that she never liked him, and doubted any of us could love him. She dared to imply that all any of us ever wanted was, like her, the crown." A few girls gasped, but I wondered if it was true for some of them. I felt sad for Price Ethan, be that the case.

I looked down, afraid that he might end up with someone like Richie by mistake. "Will there be any other eliminations?" Evelyn wondered aloud, teary-eyed. I tensed up. I looked around at all the other girls and, out of the corner of my eye, saw that Naomi was tense too. She looked down, her brown eyes hidden under thick lashes, and her red lips pursed nervously. Like me, she was anxious about the background checks, I noted.

Over the course of the week, there were no other eliminations following Richie's. However, a nasty rumor about Naomi was spread around. Apparently, alongside music producing, she had been an escort back in Dakota. Not that I believed the rumor, but considering the way she usually dressed, a lot of the other girls did. Naomi, seeming ashamed, started wearing more demure, neutral-colored dresses. In the end, I'm not sure if it diminished or raised the suspicion against her, but she should be able to dress however she likes. Surely the palace had a team of employees who had thoroughly investigated her past, so if it was true, why was she still here? And yet, I was still here too.

One afternoon, I passed Naomi, her lips pink instead of red and wearing high-collared gown, in the hallway. Like her clothes, she seemed duller, almost erased. I stopped her. "Are you okay, Naomi?" She shrugged half-heartedly. "For now, I guess." She said, not looking up. "It's unfair, what's happening to you. The girls should really mind their own business." She finally looked up at me, her almond eyes watery. "You know it isn't true, don't you? I see you, Luna. You must be the sweetest one here." She seemed desperate. "If you say it isn't true, I believe you, Naomi." Unexpectedly, she hugged me.

"I just love music. I produced music, that's all I did." She started, shaking her head. "I don't dress sexy because I'm a whore; I just think my figure is my greatest asset here. I mean, I'm nothing special next to all of you." I couldn't believe such a beautiful and talented girl was insecure. "I'm sure you have plenty of qualities, although your figure is quite great." We laughed. I tried to convey the utmost sincerity. "The girls only start these rumors because they're insecure, too, and want to divert the attention away from themselves." Her shoulders dropped, and she let out a sigh. "You're probably right." I was insecure too, but I felt like I was getting more confident.

I took her hands and smiled. "Just clear this up with Ethan and all will be fine." She laughed. "If I can get a hold of him: We haven't seen him in ages!" We laughed again, and I found myself getting along with a girl who I had previously thought was much too different from me. "You know,  most of the girls don't like me, but you'll be my friend, right? I really cherish having you on my side at a time like this." I nodded. That night, I pondered how strange it was that the girls who were meant to be my competition, Gwen, Hazel and Naomi, turned out to be the closest friends I had ever made. Whatever the outcome of the Selection, I found myself hoping I'd be able to see them again.