14. THE TRUTH

THE REST OF MY NIGHT was, mercifully, dreamless. I hated how, even far away from my former families, safe from them within the walls of the palace, they still had a hold on me. I wondered how my life would have turned out had I never been sold to the palace, but ultimately, it was probably better this way. Still gloomy, I spent the day in my room, reading or sketching, dreading impending bad news.

I  couldn't believe that I hadn't been dismissed yet, being here under an alias they would have figured out by now. Before I came here, not being part of the Selection would have been a shame, as I would have been sad that I would never get to know the prince I was so fond of. Yet now, so far in, it felt like I had so much more to lose. I felt something so special and precious growing between us, and my heart broke as I thought I would need to give it all up.

I was a seamstress though, duty bound to serve, to be unseen, and maybe that was all I could ever be. After dinner, I was alone with my thoughts again, and I couldn't help but think the end was near for me. As if on cue, there was a knock on my door, and Ethan came in, a grave expression on his face. "I feel like I can open up to you, and I wish you'd feel the same towards me." He started, eyebrows furrowed. I stood in front of him, feeling small. "I'm not sure what you mean." But I did know, feeling guilty.

We stayed in silence for awhile, his eyes seeming to search mine. "As you know, we did a background search on every remaining girl." My heart sunk. "We couldn't find you." I lowered my head, staring at my hands, ashamed. He then lowered his as well, trying to get me to look at him. "Why couldn't we find you, Luna?" This time, his voice came out a gentle whisper. I clenched my fists, searching my mind for any possible explanation, any excuse that would allow for me to stay here. Though as I raised my head again, and saw this beautiful, caring boy in front of me, I knew I couldn't lie to him.

"I wasn't allowed to apply for the Selection." I confessed, finally. He seemed confused. "Were you too young? Married? A criminal?" Prince Ethan tried, naming all that could indeed make me ineligible. "I'm not any of those things." I corrected him. "When you announced your Selection, I was working in the palace." I let the words hang, allowing him remember the rule against palace staff applying. His brows furrowed deeper. "Couldn't you just quit?" He asked, his voice wavering, obviously confused about it all. I shook my head. "I wasn't here by choice... I was sold to the palace as an unpaid seamstress, and had a contract to fulfill for two more years now."

He seemed even more confused, now. "I really wanted to enter..." I continued, my whole body starting to shake. "I never thought I would get picked, but I knew I just had to try." His face softened some. "Why would you risk such a thing just for this competition?" I was so obvious. "I risked it for you. I saw you, you know, in the palace, on The Report. I wanted, I needed to take this chance." I let out, omitting the day where we'd bumped into each other, not wanting him to remember me as young and clumsy. "You liked me?" He asked, his voice low. "Yes, but more than that, now. I don't want to leave." I felt the tears coming.

Ethan took the palm of my hand my nails were digging in, and rubbed it ever so softly. "I know I need to be eliminated; I shouldn't have lied, and I'm so sorry. Just, please know that I really don't want to go, Ethan." I pleaded, hoping there was some way I could be forgiven. He looked away, suddenly seeming shy. "I don't want you to go either." He gave my hand a gentle squeeze. "I'll be honest too; I'd feel like something would be missing, without you here." His voice turned to a whisper. "I know you didn't mean any harm, so I'll find a way to make you stay, make up a believable story. I don't care where you come from, all I know is that I want you here, now."

A few tears left my eyes, and down my cheeks. "You're too good to me, Ethan. I don't have a home to go back to, but here, you make me feel like I'm home." He stared at the ground for a bit. "Maybe... that could be a good reason, why your name is not in the database. You could say you were an orphan, so don't remember your real name. You would need to keep using your alias, though." I looked up at him, my eyes wide. "You really think that could work?" He nodded, and there was a significant drop in tension in the room.

The rest of the night, we spent sitting together in my room, not really talking. I bet he had a million things to do, but he chose to stay here, with me. He rubbed my hand, and we just looked at each other. He was the one to break the silence. "Could you tell me your real name?" I bit my lip, looking away. "My name is Liliana." It felt strange to say it aloud, after being called Luna for the past few months. "I didn't lie about my last name." I specified, as an afterthought. "That's such a beautiful name." He said, with a smile as he stood up. "It's getting late, you should get ready for bed." He sounded apologetic, like it pained him to leave. Could he really be feeling the same as I did? I stood up, and brushed off my dress. "Thank you, Ethan. I hope you sleep well." He kissed my hand, seemingly a habit of his. "You as well, Liliana."