10. THE CONFLICTS

IT'S FUNNY HOW EASILY I could help Ethan while I struggle so badly to help myself. As my maids brushed out my hair and applied my makeup, I stared at my reflection and wondered if I was really enough. Over the past few days, I've been trying to picture what my life will be like once I get eliminated from the Selection. To my dismay, going back to being a seamstress wasn't an option anymore. I was a Three now, as weird as that was, but none of this caste's career options remotely interest me. I would probably end up a teacher, even though I had no education of my own besides homeschooling and didn't know the first thing about teaching. In any case, I think it's cruel to be expected to choose from such a short list of careers. I was perfectly happy being a seamstress, even if that meant I was poor. The castes had never felt so unfair as they did now.

What did it mean that out of all the girls, Ethan had chosen me to confide in? He said I meant a lot to him, but did he say that to all the girls? How could I be so special if he's keeping all the others here? I wiped away a tear, and a smudge of makeup, to my maids' dismay. I hated feeling this way. "Lady Luna, what's wrong?" Maya asked, as she hurriedly reapplied the makeup. It was almost time for the Report. "I thought this whole thing would be fun, but it's just being so confusing." I tried to summarize. Maya paused. "Do you love him?" I'd never been in love before. The past three years, I had certainly been crushing on Prince Ethan, but now that I knew him, was this love I felt? "I think I do." I said softly. "I feel sad when he's away, and happy when we're together. I want to know everything about him, and he's in my head most of the day." Maya continued my makeup. "Love can be difficult." She said somberly, and I wondered what she meant, and if it was the reason she'd been so upset. Yet when I tried to ask about it, she would always brush me off.

I was rushed to the studio in a new, sparkly blue dress that glittered under the lights. The fabric was silky and light, a blessing on this particularly warm day. The Selected weren't being interviewed today, but we were required to be there all the same. I spotted Gwen on the front row, looking like sunshine in her golden dress. Overcoming my wariness about being in front, I took a seat next to her and Agatha, in a green dress that matched her eyes. "Why did you choose a front row seat?" I asked Gwen, since it was unlike her to do so. "Honestly, I just really like my dress and want people to see it. Does that make me vain?" She looked concerned, so I laughed to reassure her. "I think it's fair, you definitely deserve the spotlight today." The music came on and everyone took their places. The King would be making announcements today.

The war with New Asia was ongoing, so long as past differences and territory feuds weren't resolved. However, both sides had lost their allies, therefore the fight was more on a personal, smaller scale. The King and his advisors feared an impending war with France, as its King disagreed with Theodore's way of ruling. There had also been many failed negotiations for a trade deal and new immigration laws. Due to this tension, it was speculated that further conflict might be at bay.

As he spoke of the rebels, the interrogations that had been occurring and his progress subduing them, King Theodore was abruptly interrupted. Ironically, the rebel alarm went off. Confused, everyone in the studio looked around, not sure what to do. That is, until the Queen dashed to a nearby passageway, surrounded by her anxious assistants. The King soon followed, dragging Ethan along, and a collective panic took over the studio. Stupidly, I froze remembering the last, terrifying attack. I would've probably stayed there, on my front row seat, had Gwen not grabbed my arm.

Luckily, many passageways led to the grand underground safe-room. Everyone got there on time, I assumed, and it was all just a matter of waiting for the storm to pass. As the girls piled into the safe-room, some chatting nervously, some dead silent, I sat down on the floor, shaking.