12. THE SWEET

I COULD BARELY STOMACH LUNCH as the butterflies took up all the space. I nearly ran to my room to change my clothes before it was time to meet up with Ethan for our date. I was trying to be less anxious than usual, but it was nearly impossible to sit still as my maids touched up my makeup. My hair, having grown almost down to my shoulders, was braided up and out of my face. Since I had never done any horse-riding before, riding side-saddle was a rather ambitious idea, so I was styled in the only pair of pants in my wardrobe instead. The were black, luxurious, perfectly fitted pants, paired with a delicate baby blue blouse.

I was hoping Ethan would find the pants appropriate for the activity, and not consider me under-dressed. I looked the most plain I had ever look since entering the Selection, but I mustered up my confidence and headed for the stables. Having lived in the palace for years, I didn't need directions to find them. Prince Ethan was already there, brushing the long mane of a jet black horse. I was reassured to see that he was slightly dressed-down as well. When he saw me, the most charming of smiles lit up his face. "Luna, I'm so happy you're here. You look stunning, as always." I shyly twisted a rogue strand of my hair, letting go any insecurity I'd felt.

"Thank you Ethan. How are you today?" He put down the brush, took a step towards me and took both my hands in his, giving them a gentle squeeze. "I'm feeling even better now that you're here." I smiled and he led me inside the stables. Other than the the beautiful black horse I had seen, there were three others in this part of the stables. Ethan gestured to them. "Which would you like to ride today? I always ride Raven; the one outside, but if you have your heart set on her, I'll let you borrow her for today." He winked, which made me laugh. I studied each horse carefully. One was short and strong, with a beautiful caramel coat and a blonde mane while the other was tall, white and elegant. Finally, I settled on the last one, who I instantly fell in love with. "That's Mabel." Ethan told me, as he took her outside for me. Mabel was a medium sized horse, with mismatched marbled coloring and crooked eyes.

Looking back at Ethan to make sure it was alright, I pet Mabel gently, looked into her big brown eyes and felt that special silent bond you can only feel with animals. I wished I had had pets growing up. As we headed for the fenced riding area, I was distracted by a bright flash. As usual, the camera crews were getting a few shots of the date. Noticing them too, Ethan wrapped his arm ever so gently around my waist and smiled brightly. I was a bit embarrassed, but I didn't complain. After all, it was important for the public to see me to possibly come to like me.

Even more embarrassing than the photographers following us was being taught how to ride a horse by the crowned prince of Illéa. Since I struggled to get on the horse, being painfully short without my heels, he placed his hands on me, guiding me,  leaving a burning sensation where he had touched. After trial and error, we were both finally on our respective horse, him trailing right beside me in the small fenced riding field. Mabel was slow and steady, so I wasn't too scared. We talked about nothing in particular during the ride.

The horses fed and back in the stables, we settled down on a bench under a willow tree, away from the cameras. "I recall you saying that you've made some good friends here." Ethan started. "May I ask who you feel closest to?" He turned to me, seeming eager to hear my response. I hoped my affections for my new friends were mutual. "I really like Gwen. She's incredibly smart, and I feel calmer around her. What's best about her is that really listens when you talk." He nodded, waiting for me to continue. "And, well... although she has a lot of friends, I'd like to consider myself a friend of Hazel's. She's so optimistic and funny, it's a joy to be around her." Ethan passed his hand through his hair. "I haven't had the chance to get to know her that much, to be honest."

I felt a little bit jealous picturing Ethan having dates with other girls, though this was all just part of the Selection. I wanted to ask him about it, but there was other things I wanted to know. "Do you have any close friends?" He looked down. "I've been so sheltered all my life, stuck inside the palace, it's been hard to get close to people. I mean, I'd consider some of the workers here my friends, and I'm friendly with some foreign royalty, but I guess I've never really had a best friend." Before I could stop myself, I went further. "Have you ever been in love?" After the words came out of my mouth, I felt maybe I'd went to far, but when he stared back at me, he didn't seem upset. "I've liked someone in the past, but nothing I'd consider love. I want to though, fall in love. What about you?" I thought back to before I started working in the palace. "When I was younger, I had a boyfriend, but I don't think we were in love."

Not wanting to think about who he might've liked or my former boyfriend, I changed the topic. "What would you do? I mean, if you could leave the palace, where's the place you'd most want to go?" He seemed to ponder this question a long time, choosing to stay silent as I awaited his answer. "I've never thought about it..." He confessed. "It's funny; when you grow up so isolated from the world, at first, you long to see it. After a while though, that longing fades away. If I'm honest though, I'd love to travel all over." I wondered if he'd ever really get to do that. "If I had to choose though, I go to a mountain, and climb to the very top. Maybe even paint the view."

I smiled, loving to hear him talk. "Where would you go?" Ethan asked. I had never been anywhere special. All my life, I'd been surrounded by walls as well. "I'd like to go to an island." I said, impulsively. "I really want to swim in the ocean, with the fish." I had seen it once, in a picture book, and I had dreamed about it ever since. Ethan took my hand and I blushed. "Maybe you will someday." I'd hope so, but Sixes never got to travel.

He dropped me off at my room, and just he was about to leave, I remembered something. "Oh, Ethan, please wait right here." I quickly went inside my room to get what I had left on my desk. "You... you've seemed a little upset lately." I started. "So, yesterday, I went down to the kitchens to make this for you. I remember how much you liked the sweets on our first date and I was hoping it would make you feel better." I handed him the little lemon tart I had made for him, with a little, much-needed help from the cooks. I'm sadly not so skilled at baking as I am with sewing. "I'm not very good..." I ducked my head a bit. Not wasting a single moment, he took a bite of the tart. "It's delicious, Luna. You know, this is exactly what I needed." He laughed, and took me off guard with an embrace. "I cherish every one of your gifts so much. I thought I had everything before I met you, and yet, you find ways to spoil me." I giggled, contemplating how crazy it was that I could make the prince feel spoiled. "Goodnight Luna." He whispered in my ears. "Goodnight, Ethan."