17. THE BIRTHDAY

I ALWAYS GOT EXCITED ABOUT other people's birthdays. The thought of mine coming up definitely helped with any anxieties I was feelings regarding the Selection. Just as with Scarlett, then Ruby, in June, the palace would be holding a little birthday celebration for me. I had never had a party, nor presents, for my birthday; only cake, once, from my former foster mother. The parties for Scarlett and Ruby had been, of course, less grand than Ethan's birthday, but fun all the same, so I was really looking forwards to mine. For the occasion, Grace suggested we make a special dress for me. We designed it all together, pulling from my old designs, and ended with a sleeveless, floor-length gown, with the bottom half of it a rainbow of pastel shades. It was soft, romantic, and colorful, and made me happy just thinking of wearing it. I wished I could help working on it.

On July 22nd, I woke up joyful about my birthday, for the very first time. There wasn't a cloud in the sky, and the soft breeze outside tickled my skin as I stood on the balcony, taking-in the morning air. I had slept well, and the nightmares had stopped for a bit; I still had my doubts, but all in all, everything was looking up. My maids blessed me with my favorite kind of bath, one with lavender and bubbles, and got me ready for the day. My skin smelt of flowers, and my nails were painted pink. Maya did my makeup in soft, sparkly tones, and Grace pulled my hair up, thinking we'd probably let it down for the celebration tonight. Though I insisted, none of them would show me my birthday dress. For the day, I'd be wearing a light pink one, that fell just below my knees. 

Everyone wished me a happy birthday at breakfast, Hazel going for a hug. In the Women's room, Gwen gave me a handmade card and some flowers as her gift, stating she simply couldn't wait for the party. The flowers looked beautiful on my desk back in my room, in a vase my maids got for me. The only thing that could've possibly made my day better was Ethan, but he was nowhere in sight. I wondered if he'd come see me, at the party.

"It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." I gasped to my maid, as they let out the gown I was to wear. My makeup freshened, and my hair in loose waves, all that was left to do was put in on. We paired it with silver jewelry, and I truly felt as though I was glowing from the inside out. Whereas I usually compare myself to the other girls, I actually felt confident about my looks then.

I could hear the music even before I entered the ballroom, a live-band playing just for me. It all felt like too much, making me a little uncomfortable, but I couldn't help but feel giddy as I joined my birthday party. It was only us Selected girls, and a few designated dance-partner guards. To my relief, the guard who had been inappropriate with me at Ethan's party, Reed, was nowhere in sight. The girls had all had made cards for me, Hazel's with a goofy picture of us glued to the front of it. Agatha had made a beautiful landscape painting for me, and Claire gave me one of her books. I had to wonder how any of my next birthdays could ever live up to this.

Everyone seemed to be having fun, dancing, eating and chatting. I couldn't believe how lucky I'd been, to be part of the Selection, no matter how it turned out. Finally, Prince Ethan arrived, and I turned to look at him. It was a magical moment, me standing in the middle of the dance floor, him seeming to pause to take me in. He walked to me, and kissed my hand, then lacing my fingers through his. "Happy birthday, Luna." He said, and I forgot about the other girls for a bit, like we were the only two people in the room. "You look amazing." He breathed out. I felt amazing.

I was so lucky as to get the first dance with him. I'm a bad dancer, too hesitant, but he guided me, taking it slow. I was dazed when we pulled away, and he excused himself to attend to the others. I tried not to feel upset about it, but I selfishly wished I had had him all to myself, just for awhile longer. I danced with a guard or two, hoping to get good practice out of it, but wasn't enjoying myself as much, so I went looking for Gwen or Hazel. As I searched though, I was stopped by another guard.

"May I have this dance?" He asked, though guards were supposed to wait for us to request them. "I'm sorry, I'm looking for my friends." I said, apologetic. "Come on, it'll be fun..." I took a good look at the guard, and though the room had been darker at Ethan's ball, I recognized him as Officer Reed. A shiver of fear ran through my body, as I looked around, searching for an escape. "Please, it's my birthday, I just want to see my friends." I begged, desperate to get away. "You and I could be friends." He insisted.

As no one appeared to be coming to my rescue, I yanked my arm away from him, and went to the nearest girl, Naomi. "Please, walk with me to Gwen, will you?" Naomi glanced back, seeming confused, but obliged all the same. I thanked her, as I joined Gwen on the sofas. "How are you enjoying your birthday?" She inquired. "It's been really  fun, and I feel so grateful for everything, but I'm starting to feel a bit nervous about the crowd." I confessed, honestly. After my encounter with the officer, I felt like I needed some air. I really had a bad feeling about him.

"You're lucky to have danced with Ethan." Gwen said, seeming jealous to not have had her turn yet. He was dancing to an upbeat song with Taylor at the moment. When it ended, as if on cue, he came towards Gwen and asked for her hand, giving me a warm smile in passing. Alone again, I took one last look at this party that was all meant for me, and silently made my way out.