Kaesung | Rainy Days

Fresh out of school, Kaede and Jisung walked side by side under Kaede's blue umbrella to protect themselves from the light rain. Their parka-clad arms brushed against each other creating small scratchy synthetic sounds.

"I like rainy days like this," Kaede told Jisung.

"Why?" he asked.

"For one, the grey sky looks like one of Mei unnie's watercolour paintings," Kaede said, gazing up at the swirls of dark clouds against the grey sky. "It makes me feel calm."

"Really?" Jisung asked, turning his eyes to the sky. "It makes me feel miserable."

"Rainy days aren't miserable," Kaede said. "There are puddles to splash around in."

Jisung looked down at Kaede and laughed. "What?"

"Watch," Kaede instructed. Handing the umbrella to Jisung, she flipped her hood on and stepped into the drizzle. Her eyes flicked around the quiet street in search of a suitable puddle. She spotted large one in the gutter and after checking for cars, she ran to it.

Jisung watched in amusement as she jumped into it, the water exploding around her feet. Giggling like a little girl, Kaede hopped around until her shoes and stockings were soaked.

Jisung thought she looked like a penguin as she ran back to him, her arms flapping around in the too-big parka.

"That was fun." She beamed at Jisung. "You should do it too."

"No thanks," Jisung said, shaking his head. "I don't want soaking wet socks."

Kaede sighed exasperatedly. "You're no fun."

"No, that's Jeno."

"Obviously you hang out with him too much then."

"Whatever. Let's get home before you get frostbite."