CHAPTER 21

IN THE LIBRARY THE NEXT DAY, the Scooby gang were all preparing for Spike. Willow was checking the crossbow while Xander, Cordelia, and Lizzy were whittling stakes. While they were preparing for St. Vigeous, Buffy was cutting vegetables for Parent Teacher Night. 

"For three nights the unholy ones scourge themselves into a fury, um, culminating in a savage attack on the night of St. Vigeous." Giles stated,

"Does anybody remember when Saturday night meant date night?" Xander asked the group, 

"You sure don't." Cordelia sassed,

Lizzy glared and pointed her knife at the two, "Behave."

Buffy set down the machete she was using to prepare the vegetable tray, "Ooo! Parents start arriving in an hour. Okay, so, um, banners are in place, the lounge is comfy... What am I forgetting?" She asked,

"Punch?" Willow suggested,

"Punch." Buffy agreed, "I need, I need punch!"

"My fingers are cramping." Cordelia set down the knife and stake, "How long have I been doing this?"

Xander checked the clock, "Three minutes." 

"So, can I go now? She doesn't need this many stakes. I mean, if this guy Spike is as mean as you all said, it should be over pretty quickly." Cordelia said and everyone stared at the girl, "We're still all rooting for you on Saturday. I'd be there for you myself if I didn't have a leg wax."

"You guys hold down the fort. I'm punch bound." Buffy said before heading towards the library doors,

"Don't forget the sugar!" Lizzy said to her sister before continuing to whittle the stakes. 

TWENTY MINUTES LATER, Lizzy went to go find her sister. She found Buffy pouring drinks into cups, "What kinda punch did you make?" 

"Uh, lemonade." Buffy answered as she handed Liz a cup, "I made it fresh and everything."

"How much sugar did you use?" Lizzy took a sip and grimaced at the incredibly sour taste, 

"Sugar?"

"It's very good." Liz coughed as she set the cup down, not wanting to upset her sister,

"Okay, now all I have to do is keep mom and Snyder from crossing paths for the rest of the night." Buffy said, putting the ladle into the bowl, 

The two blondes turned and spotted their mom, "Hi, mom!" Lizzy smiled,

"Hi, honey." Their mom turned to Buffy, "Did you, uh, do all this?"

 "Yeah! Um," Buffy picked up a cup, "here, have some lemonade." They then spotted Snyder and Buffy panicked, "Right after Lizzy shows you the library. I have to stay here and hostess."  

"Great, the library." Liz put her arm around her mom's shoulder, "Uh, um, actually Giles and everyone are in there studying. So, French class it is!"

Lizzy showed her mom every class that her and Buffy had, making sure none of the teachers were inside. Once they were finished, Lizzy brought her mom back over to Buffy, who was talking to Cordelia.

"Well, I believe that I have seen every classroom on campus, and just as I get there all your teachers miraculously have stepped out." Their mom told Buffy and Lizzy smiled at her sister over her mom's shoulder,

"Oh. Um, but you haven't seen the boiler room yet. And, you know, that's really interesting, what with the boiler being in the room and all." Buffy laughed nervously as Principle Snyder came over, 

Their mom offered her hand, "Hi. I'm Joyce Summers. I'm Buffy's and Elizabeth's mother."

He ignored her hand, "Principal Snyder. I'm afraid we need to talk. My office is down here." Their mom gave Buffy a look before following Snyder into his office and Cordelia watched them go with a huge smile on her face. 

"He didn't look very happy." Buffy stated with worry and Lizzy wrapped her arm around her sister,

"But you did such a good job." Willow said 

"When they're done talking..." Cordelia trailed off,

 "What?"

"My guess? Tenth high school reunion, you'll still be grounded." She finished,

 Lizzy gave the tall brunette a look, "Cordelia, have some lemonade." 

The three sat down and talked while they waited for Buffy's and Lizzy's mom to finish talking with Principle Snyder. Lizzy was worried for her sister. She did a really good job on the Parent Teacher Night, but that can't make up for the skipping classes and failing tests.

When they spotted Principle Snyder, the three stood up and Buffy tensed when she saw her mom's face, "In the car, now."

Buffy, Lizzy, and Willow exchange a concerned look before the two blondes started to follow their mom out. 

They aren't even left the room yet when two vampires crashed through the window. Several more vampires followed, and they stormed into the room. 

Parents and teachers began to panic and ran around in fright. Lizzy's eyes widened when she spotted Spike, "What can I say? I couldn't wait."