Chapter Seven

Tae

Tae

"I wasn't expecting you until the morning."

Mom looked surprised to see me as I joined her in her den.

I kissed her cheek and laid beside her on the couch while she sat watching TV with a glass of Cabernet in hand.

"Yeah, change of plans." I told her, "I take it the kids are sleep already."

She nodded and took a sip.

"Yep. Put them down thirty minutes ago so don't go in there walking them up. You should just spend the night unless you wanna come back and get them in the morning."

"How you gon tell me what to do with my kids though?" I replied with a frown.

"Like I just did, darling." She said assertively taking another sip, "so, how was the trip?"

I sighed as I thought about the wild ride that Bali had been.

"It was okay."

I absently looked at the television as recent memories stirred around my head.

"Uh huh," she responded skeptically, "had to be better than okay."

"Why you say that?"

"Cause girl, you came in here damn near walking sideways. Somebody been folding you like a pretzel."

I held my chest as my face turned red with embarrassment.

"Mom, what?!"

"And stop with the dramatics. I'm twice your age. My eyes don't deceive me." She added, "you already having sex with that boy you just met?"

"I'm not doing this with you." I mumbled as I shook my head.

"You're grown like I am. Come on, dish."

She put her glass down on the marble end table.

"If you must know, no, I'm not doing that with him."

She looked at me curiously before her face changed to pure excitement.

"Eek!" She shrieked.

She got up and acted like she was shouting in a church.

"Lady, what is your deal?" I questioned.

"Son in law is back in! Oh my goodness!" She shouted grabbing me up from the couch and hugging me.

My eyes rolled backwards as she squeezed the life out of me.

"Mom, why are you like this? And you don't even know...."

"Before you lie, remember I got your kids. And you know they've talked to their father countless times over the last few days so I know for a fact that he was in Bali too." She interjected.