Chapter Thirteen

Tae

Tae

"The ham turned out perfect." April said coming in the living room with a glass of wine. "For you."

She handed it to me with a smile.

"Thank you."

"Lord, What did Trey's ass do now?" She asked turning the TV down.

"Who said he did something?"

"I see it all over your face. I've known you long enough to know when something is up. What did his ass do?"

Right when I was about to tell her, he walked in.

"Speaking of the Devil...." She said.

"Sup Mumma?"

He took a seat on the couch between us.

I took a sip of wine not even acknowledging his presence.

"Hanging out with my daughter." She said winking at me.

"You mind if I borrow her for a second?" He asked.

"I guess not."

"Can we talk?"

He took my hand in his; the first time he'd touched me since he got here.

I didn't respond as I got up and allowed him to lead me outside to the patio.

We sat around the lit fire pit facing the house.

"What you wanna talk about?"

"I'm sorry, Doll."

"For?" I replied quickly.

He sighed and slid closer.

"I behaved childishly. I should have talked to you about how I felt instead of being dry and not accepting some of your calls."

I remained silent.

"Do you accept my apology?" He mumbled.

I sucked my teeth as I rolled my eyes.

"I guess so, but I'm still mad."

"I can admit that I'm a bit insecure when it comes to that nigga. Maybe a bit paranoid because of what I did to you in the past, but that's a me thing. That's my shit to work out."

"I don't want him." I said softly, "I love you."

"I believe you." He said as he grabbed my hands, "and I love you too."

"But don't think for one second that you get off free because you pulled me out here and said sorry."

I kissed his cheek as I got up.

He laughed nervously.

"What you mean? I'm being sincere."

"It means you're still in trouble. Just because you're sorry don't mean you get to avoid the consequences of your fuck up."