• Oh Merlin, What Now? •

•••

I spilled my secrets

Let you know I care

Now will you finally just be there

•••

"Mr. Malfoy, if you would..." McGongall gestured to the sofa chair beside me and I kept my eyes trained on her desk.

Draco stood and made his way over to the chair, sinking into the sofa.

McGonagall took off her glasses and frowned at the two of us, "You two have started quite the argument this year and it's the second week back. I assure you, I don't know the details, nor is it necessary you tell me if you are uncomfortable. For your information, I did know about your secret relationship in 6th year. As I've told many students before, I notice everything. Just as I noticed that you, Miss. Granger have not eaten a bite of food in the past week. I also know that you, Mr. Malfoy, every night go to the courtyard steps where you chose the Dark side over the light."

I glanced at Draco out of the corner of my eye. He winced when she spoke her last sentence, causing me to feel bad for him.

"I'm going to try and help you two, I promise, but first I need you two to describe your nightmares to me," McGonagall stated.

I looked at Draco, then back at McGonagall, "Does he have to be in here?"

McGonagall's eyes almost twinkled, "I think it would be very beneficial if you were to hear about each other's nightmares. Might make you aware that you're not alone."

I almost glared at her.

I sighed, "Fine," I shook my head, "There's too many to tell."

McGonagall nodded, "Why don't you start with the one that brought you here tonight?"

I gritted my teeth, Of course.

I sighed, the sooner I tell it, the sooner I can leave.

"I was in my parent's house again. I had to use the spell obliviate to remove me from their memories so that they would be safe from the war. That was real. I was just remembering how it felt to turn away from my parents and accept that even if I survived the war, I probably wouldn't see them ever again."

I shook my head as tears started up. I blinked them away, "In my dream, when I got out of my house I turned and saw it was on fire. I panicked and ran in to try and save my parents but when I opened the door, I was in the Malfoy manor."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Draco turn towards me. I kept my eyes trained on the ledge of the desk, "I immediately panicked because I thought it was going to go into my usual nightmare of the malfoy manor-"

"Which is?" McGonagall asked.

I bit my lip and said through clenched teeth, my hand unconsciously resting over my scar, "The day I was-" I paused and took a deep breath, "tortured. By Bellatrix."

I shook my head, "But it wasn't. It was a new one. Voldemort was in the room along with the Malfoy's and a bunch of deatheaters. It was the day Draco got the dark mark. I just had to stand there and watch... and listen-" I shook my head and looked up at McGonagall, "And then I woke up."

I stood, "Can I go now?"

McGonagall shook her head, "It's Mr. Malfoy's turn, I believe."

I didn't meet his eyes as he began, his voice husky from sleep, "It's at least one every night, the same one that I see every night. When my aunt tortured Hermione."

I could see him look at me but I bit my lip and closed my eyes, hugging my right knee to my chest as I rested my head on it.

"I remember my aunt grabbing Potter and Weasley, shoving them down the stairs while she cornered Hermione," he paused, "She was yelling at her. Accusing her and the other two boys of stealing the sword of Gryffindor from her vault. Hermione said she didn't take anything, but she didn't care."

"She took her arm and pinned her down. She began to cut into her arm. She screamed. Her screaming still sticks in my head. I hate it, but the worst thing was- she looked at me when she was pinned underneath my aunt and saw I was a coward. I just stood there! I didn't do anything-"

I shook my head, "You weren't a coward."

Draco turned to face me, "How could you say that? You were on my bloody floor getting tortured and I just stood there and cried about it."

I glared at him, "You and I both know that if you had done anything, things would've been way worse."

Angry unshed tears gathered in his eyes, "But I could've done something! You were in pain and I loved you! I still do. Watching you go through that was torture to me, Hermione! And I couldn't do anything to get rid of your pain! Watching you in pain was like Bellatrix stabbed me with her knife," He lowered his head before tears dropped, "That's why it shows up in my dreams every night."

I stared at him, "It's over, Draco. It's done. It happened, but it's over. Stop torturing yourself with the idea of what you didn't do," I paused and turned my body in the slightly uncomfortable chair and sighed, "Why do you think I had a nightmare about you getting the dark mark, Draco? It's not as If I was getting it. Not like it was causing me pain. But it was causing me pain, Draco. Because when you're in pain, it hurts me. Just like when I'm in pain, it hurts you. When I had that nightmare about you and the dark mark, I felt the same way. I wanted to take your pain away and put it all on myself, but I couldn't. The same way you couldn't take my pain."

An awkward silence fell on the room and McGonagall cleared her throat.

I jumped as my gaze shifted from Draco to McGonagall. I'd forgotten she was here.

I noticed that look in her eye. She had a plan, a plan that no one was going to like except for her.

"As I said before, the two of you have caused quite a rift in the houses. Not just between Gryffindor and Slytherin, now it's between all four houses," I looked at my hands sheepishly, "I have a proposition. The two of you will be sharing a common room and each will have their own bedroom, but you two will share that common room until you've resolved the issues between the two of you."

My mouth drops open and I scramble for words, "But- Wha- Professor!"

Her eyes narrow, "Don't professor me, Miss. Granger. You have caused a problem, I'm merely attempting to fix it," She glanced at Draco," Look, Miss. Granger, Mr. Malfoy seems to be fine with the idea."

My head spun in his direction and he looked petrified.

I can say that from personal experience.

"Oh Dear..." McGonagall frowned.

I gave her a look, "Oh yes, Professor, he looks ecstatic."

"Enough, Miss. Granger. You and Mr. Malfoy will meet me tomorrow morning after breakfast to get moved in."

"But I have Charms-"

McGonagall narrowed her eyes at me, "You and Mr. Malfoy will meet me tomorrow morning after breakfast. Is that clear, Miss. Granger?"

I sighed, defeated, "Yes, Professor."

She smiled, "Good. Now I trust the two of you will get a good- rest of the night's -rest and I will see you both in the morning."

I stood immediately and stomped out of the office.

I saw Ginny waiting at the bottom of the steps and her face dropped when she saw my expression, "Oh Merlin, what now?"

I shook my head, "Later."