Pick Up the Pieces

•••

You tore her heart in two

By walking away,

Now I'm forcing you to go save the day

•••

The next few weeks were terrible and lonely.

We both still lived in the same common room with Pansy, Blaise, Harry, and Ginny, but things were awkward between the six of us.

I felt bad because the four of them had finally started to bond with each other and now they felt like they couldn't talk to each other anymore with Draco and I broken up.

Not to mention the fact that the nightmares had returned and believe it or not, they're worse than they ever have been.

The first night I woke up screaming because I dreamed that Draco had died, again.

If I'm gonna have nightmares at least make them original.

Ginny had come running in, her hair bent at weird angles and bags under her eyes. I cursed myself for waking her up. "I'm sorry, Gin, truly-"

"It's alright 'Mione, I know, believe me, I know."

Ginny POV

I grunted as I stomped into the great hall and yelled, "Where's the ferret?"

Heads turned toward me and immediately people strained to get a good glimpse of the slytherin table.

I made eye contact with the blond idiot and made my way over, leaning next to him, seething, "I really need to talk to you. We could do this here, in front of everyone... or we can do it in the hallway so no one sees you cry. Your choice."

I stood, arms folded across my chest.

He grumbled some words under his breath that my mother would kill me for even thinking and stood, following me outside.

I turned on him quick, shoving him into the wall.

It wasn't until then I noticed his appearance, "Merlin, Malfoy, you look terrible."

His silver - blond hair could give Harry's messy hair a run for it's money. His skin was deathly pale and he had dark bags under his eyes, his posture slumped forward as he leaned against the wall.

He glared at me, "Why thank you for the compliment, I'm sure you make Potter's heart swell."

I rolled my eyes at him, "I always knew Hermione didn't date you for your personality."

He stiffened at the mention of her name and held his head in his hands, "Is that what this is about? You want me to get back together with Hermione?"

"Yes!" I huffed, "Her nightmares are back, you know."

He lifted his head and I almost felt sympathetic toward the boy I had just yelled at, I could see the concern swimming in his eyes, "What?"

I shook my head, "You're telling me you couldn't hear her screaming your name last night?"

He shook his head, "I couldn't sleep last night after-" he sighed, "I went for a walk on the grounds instead of sleeping."

I couldn't help but glance at his swollen eyes, "No kidding."

He glared at me once again, "As lovely as this conversation was, I'm afraid I have elsewhere to be."

I gripped his arm as he turned to leave, "Please, Malfoy. You breaking up with her to protect her from yourself was the single most idiotic thing you could have done. You two were meant to be together. Didn't you see Hermione before you two got back together? She was miserable. And then you two got back together and she was Hermione again. She was happy, she was alive," I shook my head, "And if that wasn't enough conviction, she told me she didn't want to go to lessons today because she was so upset that she 'ruined' your relationship and 'lost you for good'."

Draco looked about ready to cry and she was grateful he chose to leave the great hall with her.

I looked up to see Harry walking towards us with a disapproving frown on his face, "Did you beat him up?"

I shook my head, my hands up in surrender, "No, I swear, he did that on his own, " I gestured to his face.

"Come on, Gin, leave the bloke alone," Harry sighed, grabbing my arm and gently leading me to the great hall.

I stopped at the door and looked back to Malfoy, "If you're not going to fix everything, at least pick up the pieces that you dropped, would you?"