Chapter 30

CHAPTER 30

Hadn’t Married yet the Husband Already Dead

“Outrageous! How dare you look at Consort Goddess like that?” a maid standing beside the woman berated Jing Yue angrily.

Jing Yue lowered her head, her heart was filled with anger; why on earth did you grow that kind of face if you didn’t let people to see?

“Ninth Huang Shu, where did this girl come from? What is her name?” the woman sitting high above examined Jing Yue up and down with an odd look in her eyes. Jing Yue suddenly felt all her hair stood on the end, why did she feel this Imperial Consort was a bit strange?

Jing Yue lifted her eyes to look at Imperial Consort and said: “My name is Jing Yue.” She then remembered that she was not allowed to look and hastily lowered her head again.

“Presumptuous! You actually dare to address yourself without any polite honorific, really is someone without the slightest education!” the palace maid standing beside Imperial Consort once again berated Jing Yue. Jing Yue, even with her good temperament, also couldn’t endure any longer. Simply too lazy to pretend, she calmly raised her head and stared at that Consort Goddess.

“Goddess, I am only a rude girl from the mountain. I don’t have the slightest understanding about the rules inside the palace.  If I somehow made offenses in some area, I’d still have to ask Goddess for much forgiveness. Don’t know whether this considered wrong or not, but the Emperor hasn’t spoken yet, you, a small maid, had better close your mouth!”

“You!” that maid was the favorite maid at Imperial Consort’s side so whoever met her still had to show some courtesy. She hadn’t expected that this time she would be berated in front of so many people.

“That will do.”  The Emperor who had been silent from the beginning finally lifted his hand and spoke. That Emperor was probably about to be thirty years old; he bore an examining gaze to size Jing Yue up until he finally changed the direction of his gaze toward Xiao Chen and said: “ChenEr, this time, why did you bring this girl into the palace?”

“Emperor Brother’s* joking, younger brother brought YueEr to the palace, naturally to ask Emperor Brother to bestow us a marriage.” Xiao Chen coldly stood still; the words he said were ice-cold without any waves; his pitch black eyes clashed directly with the Emperor’s.

The Emperor slightly narrowed his eyes to look at Xiao Chen and said: “If you want to take a concubine, you can directly bring her into your fu; there is no need to ask for a big thing such as marriage bestowal.”

“Emperor Brother, what you’ve just said is wrong. I’m not taking her as a concubine; I want to marry her as a proper Fei.” The corner of Xiao Chen’s mouth was hooked into a chilly curvature. The eyes that looked straight into the Emperor’s carried a strong deadly intent to kill. The hall strangely quieted down because of Xiao Chen’s words.

The Emperor hadn’t even uttered a word when the expression of the Imperial Consort beside him went cold. She pointed her white hand angrily at Jing Yue and said: “This woman doesn’t have any status, doesn’t have any background, doesn’t even understand the least bit of etiquettes or rules! Which part of her deserves to be with you!?” the intention to attack in those words made Jing Yue’s eyes went cold.

“Consort Goddess, you think the person I am right now, still care about any status, any background? If there really is someone with status and background; Emperor Brother, you will let me marry her?” the corners of Xiao Chen’s mouth were hooked into a sneer. The eyes that stared at the two people sitting high above were completely cold.

“Xiao Chen! What kind of rubbishes are you talking about!?” The Emperor’s inverse scale** seemed to be poked by Xiao Chen’s words, his eyes were widened as he glared furiously at Xiao Chen.

“I come to the palace just to tell you, this person will be my Ninth Huang Fei. Regardless of whether you people agree or not, I’ve decided to marry her.” Xiao Chen unyieldingly stood still. The arrogance in those words almost made Jing Yue clapped her hands loudly; simply too mighty, too domineering!

“Do you still put me this Emperor Brother in your eyes!?” the Emperor pounded the table and stood up; the furious glare he threw towards Xiao Chen made Jing Yue suspicious; in the next seconds, would the Emperor give a decree to chop Xiao Chen?

That wouldn’t do ah…… She hadn’t married yet the husband already dead……

Didn’t it mean she got deceived***?

—–

*  皇兄 (huáng xiōng) : the way the emperor refer to himself as an older brother; but I decided not to use Huang Xiong as I’ve decided in the earlier chapter that the term I’ll use are only Huang Shu and Huang Fei; actually there are a lot of new term in this chapter such as  these three I wrote down here, plus Imperial Consort (贵妃, Guìfēi). Also when Xiao Chen said younger brother towards the emperor, he actually said 臣弟(Chén dì) instead of弟弟(dìdì), they both means younger brother but the first one is the respectful way to address himself towards the emperor; Jing Yue was berated also because of this, she should not refer herself as ‘I’ (我, wǒ) or in English includes ‘my’ and ‘me’, and should refer herself as 臣女(chén nǚ/ I might get the word 臣wrong for this one)

**  逆鳞 (nì lín) : term to say something that rubbed you the wrong way/ your soft spot which will angered you if it was touched.

***坑爹 (kēngdiē) : literally means ‘trap your father’, it means something related to getting deceived, getting tricked or cheated.