Chapter 5: The Schuyler Sisters

The next morning comes too soon. Being by the window, the sun shines directly into my eyes. I groan and bury my face into the pillow. When I finally sit up, I see Alice already up and tending to her little sunflower that she'd placed on the windowsill.

"How the heck are you awake this early?" I rasp out, still half-asleep.

"Dad always wakes up in the mornings to work on his lessons for the day," she says, "so I guess I was born a morning person."

By now, the other girls are stirring in their beds and getting ready for the day. Brianna is in the bathroom, brushing her teeth and Gwen is sitting by the window combing her hair. Rose is still half asleep, her red hair standing up in ever direction.

By the time we're all ready to go to breakfast, we're late, and we're sprinting down the corridors towards the great hall. We blow into our seats at the Ravenclaw table like a tornado, but no one looks up from their food. As soon as I take a bite of one of the sour cherry scones, I can see why. It's the best breakfast I've ever had in my life. (Aside from dad's chocolate pancakes of course. Mum can't cook to save her life.)

After eating what feels like seventeen of the sour cherry scones, I lug myself back to the dorm to grab my supplies for my first class, Potions. It is the only class that I have with every one of my roommates which means chances are, it'll be my favorite.

Walking into the classroom, I immediately realize that I won't been sitting with any of my roomates. Alice and Rose were sitting together, and so were Brianna and Gwen. I sit in the row in front of Alice as she shoots me an apologetic glance. I jokingly make a face conveying utmost betrayal, and she takes a second to realize I'm not actually mad at her.

A girl in Slytherin green plops down next to me and unceremoniously drops her books onto the desk.

"Cora Zabini" she introduces herself, extending a hand for a handshake.

"Maia Lupin," I reply, taking the handshake, "Is Professor Zabini your dad?"

"Unfortunately," she replies sarcastically with a smirk, "Is Remus Lupin your dad?"

"Unfortunately," I copy her with a matching smirk.

We stare at each other blankly for a second before bursting into laughter. She's about to say something when Professor Zabini clears his throat and introduces himself. Once he's taken roll, he writes the potion recipe on the board, making sure that we all knew about the adjustments to the potion created by Severus Snape, a former Potions teacher and Headmaster at Hogwarts.

"Professor Snape was a revolutionary to the potion making world. While he did not create any potions of his own, he did create some alterations to the recipes themselves that made the potions more consistently accurate and overall more effective. You will be working with your partner today to create a Cure for Boils Potion."

I can already hear the sounds of Brianna Thomas-Finnigan blowing things up.

Fortunately for me, Cora is amazing to work with. She obviously had been watching her father make potions for years. While we worked, we talked about everything, from house prejudice to how it isn't fair that Hufflepuff doesn't get a metallic color like the others. (I have nothing against black, but being shiny is fun.) Eventually, I asked her what she'd been meaning to tell me earlier.

"Oh. The seventh year Slytherins have been telling the underclassmen about the prank war that they're planning to start against Gryffindor. Some of the seventh year Ravenclaws have agreed to help them, and wanted us Slytherins to go and ask the students in our years to participate. Are you in?"

I fall silent for a bit. Well...... Teddy DID tell me to take place in something extraordinary every year........

"If you don't want to it's fine, but something tells me that you wouldn't want to miss out......"

"I'm in."

She smiles again, and so do I, but this time we both have a bit more malice and mischief in it.

James is going to have a fit.