Chapter 13: Wait for It

(A/N: Ok so I know I said I wasn't going to make James' POV too present over the course of the chapters, but this chapter, especially with the song that goes with it, Wait For It, seems like the sort of chapter that needs multiple people, so I put a little James section into this chapter. I had fun writing James, so there might be more of him in the future than I had anticipated. Thanks for reading! ~ Kira)

Maia POV

After I walk up the stairs to my dorm, I sit quietly in the dorm, only commenting a few times, as the girls detailed their night and prepared for bed.

Rose, Brianna, and Gwen had had the time of their lives, and Rose had managed to get Gwen a dance with Louis, which she described giddily as we all gave her a knowing look.

Alice's night sounded like a fairy tale, dancing with Evan for hours and overall being a literal Cinderella with her Prince Charming.

Eventually, everyone turned to me to ask about my night, and all of them were about to bubble over with excitement over whatever story I would tell them.

"So......." Alice began, "We are all wondering, how was your night?"

I wanted to tell them so much. I wanted to ask them about James, and whatever his behaviour might have meant. I wanted them to be able to tell me what to do, but that wasn't fair to James.

"Good" was the only word I could use to describe it.

The girls exchange confused glances.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Gwen asks, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"Not really."

"Does this have something to do with James? Merlin, I'm going to kill him." blurts Rose, a determined look on her face.

The other girls seemed electrified by Rose's question and immediately agreed to protect me from James as I sat back on my bed, my protests going unheard.

James POV

I wake up early the next morning lying on the common room floor. My head is in Louis' lap and my legs are splayed out on top of where Evan is face first lying on the ground facing away from me. Albus and Scorpius' legs are intertwined, and I stand carefully, trying not to wake them.

As soon as I'm free from the tangled mess on the ground, I rushed back up to the dorm to get dressed to head to breakfast. I almost don't want to go to the great hall for fear of running into Maia. I don't want to make her uncomfortable by my presence or anything. I don't have much of a choice, though. The house elves are probably exhausted from all the food they had to prepare for the ball.

I walk towards the Great Hall and as soon as I step inside, I immediately on the receiving end of four glares from the Ravenclaw table, the scariest of which coming from my cousin Rose. Maia is sitting with Alice and Rose at her right and left, and Brianna and Gwen in front of her. They're guarding her, it seems. From me.

I glance at Maia, and she doesn't seem to notice I'm there.

Maia POV

I immediately see James as he walks into the Great Hall. I know that the girls are glaring at him. That has to be the explanation as to why he's pale and won't look at me.

We don't make eye contact for the rest of breakfast, and as soon as I stand up to leave the great hall, the girls assemble around me like bodyguards.

As much as I want to talk to James, his odd behavior isn't sitting right with me. Besides, the girls probably wouldn't let me talk to him and further "hurt myself"; not as long as they're around.

Luckily, Winter Holiday begins tomorrow and my family always spends a few days at the Burrow with the Potter-Weasley clan. At least ONE person there should be able to tell me what's going on.