Chapter 16: Meet Me Inside

(A/N): Merry Christmas everyone! For those who don't celebrate Christmas, have a great day anyway and take advantage of all the holiday candy that's going to go on sale. Thank you so much for reading! ~ Kira 

We run downstairs to the living room, only to find chaos. Most adults were smiling and exchanging galleons and "I told you so"s (Mr. and Mrs. Potter, Uncle Sirius, and Grandma Weasley), while others (namely my dad) were bright red, with furious expressions plastered on their faces, while their respective spouses tried to calm them down (my mum).

"I know I made that bet with you, Dora." my dad was saying, "but I didn't expect it so soon."

"Don't ever doubt me, Remus," said mum, her voice caught between soothing and smug, "Pay up."

Dad silently passed her ten galleons before looking up to see Rose, Lily, and I standing in a cluster by the stair landing. The other adults noticed us seconds after, silence filling the room as all eyes turn on us.

We carefully walk down the rest of the steps, and I pause at the last one to glare at Teddy, who looks both proud and ashamed of what he'd just done. I ignore the adults who are asking me questions, and march straight towards Teddy, wand outstretched.

"Whoa, shortie." says Teddy placatingly, holding his hands out in front of him, "What did I do?"

I press the end of my wand to his collarbone.

"I'm not taking any of your crap, Teddy. It was none of your business to tell anyone anything. You have thirty seconds to explain why I shouldn't hex you on the spot. Go."

"Look Maia, I didn't think it would be such a big deal-"

"Not helping your case, Teddykins" I say in the sweetest voice possible.

"Ok. Maybe it WAS a big deal, but I had to get him back from when he did that to me and Vic-"

"So you didn't even CONSIDER that it would effect me too?"

"Look, shortie..." he says, hoping his second usage of his childhood nickname for me would soften the blow.

"Don't 'shortie' me right now, Teddy."

"Ok fine. Maia I'm SO SORRY. I was still mad about what happened with Vic and this was the first opportunity I had for revenge and I regretted it as soon as I said it, I'm sorry Maia please please please forgive me."

I stand there for a minute before lowering my wand. The entire room visibly relaxed in relief, and it'd not until then that I notice James was standing at the bottom of the stairs. The rest of the room hadn't noticed him either, and now they all turned to stare at him. My dad was the first to speak.

"James."

"Remus," Uncle Harry reached over to put his hand on Remus' shoulder.

"Not now, Harry," Dad said as he strode towards James, who looked like he was

Staring death in the face. Knowing dad, he probably was.

"James." he repeated. Then his face broke out into a barely detectable smirk.

"You should've waited a few more years. I just lost ten galleons to my wife."

The room was silent for a moment, but then Uncle Sirius let out a bark of laughter and the entire room followed, the diffused tension in the room causing everyone to be laughing hysterically over the one joke. It was during this little bit of chaos that James took my hand and led me back upstairs.