Chapter 10: Helpless

(A/N): Hi guys! So sorry that this chapter is so short. I promise the next one will be longer! ~ Kira

One week later, I'm sitting in a dress shop in Hogsmeade as Rose, Alice, Brianna, and Gwen swirl around me picking out dresses. I'd picked out my dress three hours before, about five minutes after we stepped into the shop. It was a shimmery gray dress with bronze embroidery, the hem starting above my knees at the front before dropping to ankle-length at the back. Alice had thrust it into my arms as soon as she'd seen it, telling me that it would bring out the amber in my brown eyes. As much as I'd hate to admit it, she was right.

As soon as I'd told the girls about my "date" with James that I hadn't planned on, they had immediately began squealing so loudly I think my eardrums are permanently damaged. Once the chaos subsided, they told me all about who they were going with.

Rose was going in a group with Brianna and Gwen. They didn't feel like they needed to go with anyone (though it was increasingly obvious that Gwen fancied Louis Weasley, though she wouldn't admit it because he was two years older than us), and honestly, going in a group IS more fun.

Alice was, of course, going with Evan Wood. They had been going out since the end of third year, and I'd never seen Alice act so giddy since the day he asked her out. Professor Longbottom obviously had more than a few things to say about that, but eventually he came to terms that his daughter was going to date people, with or without his permission. Evan had gone all out when asking Alice to the Yule Ball, presenting her with flowers and spelling out "Will you go to the ball with me?" in sunflowers by the lake. Alice's first thought was how adorable it all was, but my thoughts immediately went to if he'd asked Professor Longbottom to help him, and if so, how much interrogation he had gone through to get those sunflowers.

After spending a total of four hours in the store, we all buy our dresses. Brianna had bought a brilliant emerald green dress that made her look like some sort of celtic princess, Rose had bought a Ravenclaw blue dress (she was always one for house spirit), Gwen had picked a pale blue dress with flowy layers of tulle making up the skirt, and lastly, Alice had chosen a dark purple dress with silver accents on the bodice. If only Alice and I had picked red and yellow dresses. We all would have been a perfect picture of inter house unity (minus actual people from other houses).

When we got back to the castle, I owl James that he would need to wear some kind of gray, and send a swatch of fabric that the store had given me so that he could find that exact gray.

He sends me back a note to make sure that I knew he'd received it, signing it James Potter, light of your life.

I sigh. This is going to be a long week.