Chapter 21: What Comes Next?

I was unaware of the severity of the aftermath of the Gryffindor's surrender until James met me in Hogsmeade three days later, still partially in shock with his hair still a faint Slytherin green.

"Hello James," I greet him cautiously, not sure how he was going to react.

"Hey Maia," he replied absently, pausing to mindlessly press a kiss to my knuckles.

"You okay, James?" I ask, now genuinely concerned that I'd hurt him in some way.

"I'm fine, it's just.........." he says, turning away from me.

I put my hand on his shoulder and he turns quickly and casts a quick charm. I turn and look into the reflective window of the Three Broomsticks and see he's painted a lion on my face. I slowly turn back to him to see him smirking.

"JAMES SIRIUS POTTER" I say, punching him in the arm.

"Sorry, love, couldn't help myself," he replies sheepishly, rubbing his hand where I'd punched him.

I shake my head and roll my eyes, but am unable to hide the grin that's beginning to show on my face, which he immediately spots. The sheepish look on his face disappears and he is giving me another one of those blinding grins I've seen more and more often ever since we started dating. Finally, I give in and grin back at him, and we stand there smiling like idiots until Albus and Scorpius walk in.

Albus "accidentally" walks into James, bumping shoulders with him, and the elder Potter is knocked partially off balance, his leg coming forward to stabilize him, kicking me lightly in the shin. Shaken slightly from the unexpected tap, I take a step backwards and my heel catches on the edge of the rug and I tumble right into where Scorpius is waiting to catch me. I look over my shoulder at him, about to give him the "I can handle myself" lecture but he's already backing away as if it didn't happen, his only acknowledgement being a subtle wink and a soft smile in my direction. After scanning over me one more time, his eyes turn back to Albus, and his smile grows slightly as he watches James get Albus' classic "raise a glass to freedom, something you will never see again" speech. James is turning redder by the minute from embarrassment and people are starting to stare. As if on cue, Scorpius sends me a resigned expression and walks over to Albus, gingerly taking his wrist and pulling him lightly towards the door.

Suddenly, a large group of eager third years burst through the doors, and as if on instinct, James runs over to pull me out of the way, wrapping his arms around my waist to keep me there as I try to escape his iron grip. Finally, I stop struggling and relax into him, and I look over to see our position nearly mirrored by Scorpius and Albus.

Albus turns to face Scorpius and they stand there for a few moments, staring curiously at each other. As if realizing the implications of their position, Scorpius flushes a bright red and releases Albus with a jolt, stepping backwards towards the door. He adjusts his robes and wraps his silver and green scarf around his neck, sweeping through the doorway and out into the cold. Albus stares after him like a kicked puppy, and with no hesitation, he runs out of the heavy wooden doors, not bothering to button up his robes or tie his scarf properly.

"Maia?" James says, with mild exasperation in his voice.

"Yes, James?" I ask.

"Finally," he replies, "I said your name seven times already before you responded."

"Sorry," I say, sheepishly.

"No need to apologize, love," he assures me with a smirk, "I love watching them be oblivious as much as you do."

I blush at being caught staring, but I turn to face him and laugh.

"They really have no idea, do they?"

James only shakes his head in response, a peaceful smile on his face. He places his chin on the top of my head, and I place my head on his shoulder, and we stand there for a few minutes, not speaking, content to just be there together.