Runaway Mouse

A moan left my lips as the hot spray of the shower trickled over my skin. Oh my God...I never knew a simple shower could feel this good. It felt I hadn't had one in years when truthfully it was a mere few days. An almost giddy smile touched my lips as I luxuriated in the feeling. The sudden thought of my plan sobered me up somewhat and I made quick work of getting clean and getting out. I didn't have time to linger, I needed to focus on the goal at hand. This was about survival. My survival and weakness had no place here. Stepping out of the shower, I grabbed the nearby towel and gently began patting myself dry. I raked a brush through my hair, being careful not to pull at my stitches, and then tossed it up into a loose bun. I shrugged into the fresh hospital gown being sure to wrap it around me enough that I was completely covered, and stepped back into the dimly lit room.

It was already pretty late at night, so all the other lights were shut off to encourage me to get some rest. I knew I was alone but I still scanned the entire room one last time before moving to my bed and prying my mattress up an inch. My fingers dove into the small dark space and wrapped around the cool metal. I pulled out the fork and dropped the mattress. It was a shitty weapon as far as actual weapons went, but since I wasn't looking to badly hurt anyone, it would do. Hopefully.

Pressing the call button for the nurse, I hastily ran to the door and pressed myself against the wall. My heart was racing and I willed it to slow down. I was well aware that my plan was flawed and that if it failed things for me would be much, much worse. But I would never forgive myself if I didn't at least try. I hadn't received a memory yet, and if I had, I certainly didn't recall. How much longer did I have before Gavriil becomes impatient and decides to get rid of me? I gripped the fork tightly, I couldn't just sit and wait for my execution. The sound of light footsteps getting closer pulled me out of my thoughts. I counted down silently and held my breath. As soon as the door pushed open, I lunged forward, my hand covering her mouth from behind and my other pressing the edge of the fork into her throat. My heart was racing and my hands shook like crazy but I couldn't stop now.

"Don't move. Don't scream. Please. I don't want to hurt you." I could feel her breathing hard behind my palm, her body releasing small tremors and I instantly felt horrible. She nodded and I slowly walked us forward before nudging the door closed with my foot. "I'm gonna move my hand..." I stated firmly. "But you so much as raise your voice, and I will hurt you. Do you understand?" I pressed my makeshift weapon harder against the delicate skin at her neck, making sure she got the picture. For all she knew, I could be holding a scalpel. She whimpered but nodded lightly once again. I slipped my hand from her mouth and shifted so I was fully behind her, my weapon pressed into the nape of her neck. "Strip." She tense before uttering out a shaky, "W-What?" confusion and fear heavy in her voice.

"Do it. NOW. No sudden movements, scrub bottoms first." She exhaled nervously but complied, slowly toeing off her shoes and sliding the pants off. I snatched them from her grip and tugged on her top. "These next. Hurry." She stepped back briefly and as soon as she yanked it off, I resumed my previous position. This next part was going to be the hardest. Walking her towards the wall, I counted to three and then grabbed a fistful of her hair. "I'm so sorry." I murmured sadly before pulling her head back and slamming it forward. It hit the wall with a hard thud and just like that she crumbled to the floor. I didn't have time to linger in my guilt. I quickly shed my gown and pulled on the scrubs. Her shoes were a size too big but they would have to do. Grabbing her unconscious body, I slipped her into my gown and struggled to pull her body towards the bed. My ribs and ankle ached with the effort but I ignore it. It was a small price to pay for my potential freedom. Hoisting her into the bed, I rolled her onto her side and threw the sheets over her.

It wasn't a foolproof plan, but hopefully, if anyone peeked in on me they wouldn't catch on straight away. Dr. Nick always kept a box of surgical masks and latex gloves by my bed and for once, I was actually happy they were there. Pulling out one of the masks, I slipped it on letting it cover half of my face. Moving to the room door, I prayed this would work and gingerly pulled the door open. When all I was met with was silence, I stepped out, letting the door click shut quietly behind me. My eyes scanned my surroundings, taking in the currently empty hall. Taking a deep breath, I started moving. I had no idea where the exit was so I'd just have to rely on the overhead signs and the lines on the wall to help me out.