The Devil You Don't

He went flying back. Harder than I thought he would, and collided with a standing tray before tumbling to the ground. I knew my odds were slim and that I probably just earned myself a bullet to the head, but I didn't wait around to prove myself right. I bolted. Shot right out of the room like a bat outta hell and took off in the opposite direction we came. I didn't know if the last group and remaining henchmen were still there and so my best bet was to try and lose them in the warehouse and hopefully find a back way out. I didn't get very far. The henchman I'd kicked down latched onto my upper arm and yanked me back so hard, I momentarily lost my breath. His other arm was raised, gun in hand, ready to bring the butt of it down on me. My eyes squeezed shut and I flinched away, but the impact I was expecting never came. Instead, more angry Japanese was shouted by another individual and then by the man holding me.

I braved a peek and then my eyes widened as I saw what was happening. The henchman's wrist was being held back by the man in charge and a heated exchange of words was going on between them. Suddenly, the man's backhand came down hard against the henchman's face and I was released as he staggered back from the blow. I automatically lifted a hand to rub at my arm, only for my body to freeze as the man's eyes were now narrowed on me instead of his henchman. In two quick steps, he had my arm recaptured and began dragging me back to the examination room. He looked at the doctor and waved his hand harshly towards the entryway. "Hanareru! Yakunitatanai baka! (Leave! Useless fool!)" The doctor quickly gave a small bow of his head and rushed past with a lowly murmured, "Hai, Nakayama-san. Gomen-nasai.(Yes, Mr.Nakayama. My apologies.)"

Chills constantly trickled down my spine as I searched my mind for something to say or do to get this man to spare my life. Gulping, I looked up at him and let my mouth part, ready to spew what I knew would be a shitty excuse. "I-" my words were instantly cut off as he tugged me in front of him and let go, his hand coming into contact with my face. The slap echoed in the small space, stunning me almost as much as the sting in my cheek. The feel and taste of blood running over my tongue made me instantly grimace and shot a glare at him. Anger temporarily overshadowing my fear. I've had enough. I was fucking fed up of being tossed around, slapped, and just generally treated like filth by men who deluded themselves into thinking they had a claim on me. If this was how I died, then fine. But I was done cowering and letting them do as they pleased. Squaring my shoulders, I stared up at him and did probably the most ballsy thing so far. I spat the blood that had gathered in my mouth, all over his chest. Shock took over his features but I wasn't done with my defiance. I reached up and harshly yanked out his light blue pocket square, wiping my mouth with it while holding his gaze with the fiercest glare I could muster.

"They're called words! Fucking use them!" I shouted, then raised my hand and tossed the soiled handkerchief right in his face. I wholeheartedly expected to be shot now. I was braced for it and mentally making my peace. But as was the theme of this new life I stumbled upon, he did the unexpected. He laughed. Actually threw his head back and laughed. All I could do was stand there stunned. My mouth hanging open, welcoming any nearby fly to come on in. Was I hallucinating? Did my mind finally break on me? "Um..." I was about to question his sanity but didn't get the chance when his hand once again made it's way to my face. This time squeezing my cheeks together painfully. "Are you truly as dumb as you look, shojo (little girl)? Or perhaps this is some half cocked attempt to piss me off enough in hopes I'll either kill you now or let you go?" He released my face with a shove and a little chuckle, shaking his head. "What ever it is, I suggest you stop. You won't like how I retaliate."

A part of me wanted to lash out again, but the look in his eyes told me I didn't want to find out what a punishment from him would entail. So I swallowed the small amount of pride I had remaining and gave a stiff nod. My gaze falling to the floor. "Good." Approval laced his tone and my hand clenched at my sides. Pathetic. That's what I was right now. A minute ago I was ready to fight, and most likely die, to defend myself. Now I was back to submitting to this psycho's whim like a fucking lap dog. Self preservation was such a loathsome thing...