Out of the Frying Pan

I couldn't speak. Couldn't even move with how terrified I was. Gavriil was directly behind me, practically breathing down my neck. Or at least that's what it felt like to me. What should I do? If I spoke he would recognize my voice and if I turned around he would definitely figure it out. Crap! But staying silent was also suspicious! My thoughts became a whirlwind of terror and confusion as I imagined the most sinister scenarios unfolding because of my little stunt. A hand shot past my face and I jumped, realizing that Gavriil had moved during my inner debate. He was so close, I could feel his body heat radiating past the thin material of the scrubs and sinking into my skin. My heart rate doubled its pace and my breaths became a bit shallow and fast. He was going to shoot me. He was going to shoot me right here in this elevator. Was I religious? Should I try my hand at praying? "Which floor?" My gaze jerked up, staring straight ahead in surprise and confusion. What? My eyes wondered slightly to the left and latched onto his fingers that was lingering over the elevator buttons. He had already pressed the button for the floor we just left and was waiting on me to voice my own stop. His comment made more sense now too. It seemed he had wanted to exit and my hasty entrance had trapped him on another elevator ride. Damn!

I could have been rid of him then and there if I hadn't been so desperate to evade that nurse! Clearing my throat as discreetly as possible, I attempted to adopt some sort of accent and lower my tone. "Um..main," I grumbled out, watching his finger move down and press the main floor button. I hadn't realized I was holding my breath until he dropped his arm and stepped back. It left me in a silent whoosh and I did my best to look as relaxed as possible. It felt like an eternity. I was positive my heart was going to give out at any moment. And then finally, blessedly, the elevator jerked to a stop and the doors slide open. Thank you, God! I didn't even wait a second before practically launching myself out of the steel box. I took a few hurried steps ahead and slowly stopped. I didn't know what made me do it. It was stupid and beyond risky but...I peeked over my shoulder, my eyes landing on him as the doors began to close. My mouth went instantly dry. Gavriil stood casually in the middle of the elevator, hands tucked in the pocket of light grey slacks and a dark blue overcoat draped over his shoulders. A sudden image of Gavriil stepping out of a car in a black suit and overcoat flashed through my mind and I gasped. Another image rolled right after it, of ice blue eyes narrowing and then bullets flying, flying towards...me!

It took me a moment, but then I realized what that was, a memory. A memory of Gavriil and his men shooting at me. Those same icy eyes were on me now, staring intensely. My breath caught in my throat and then formed a lump when a smirk graced his lips and the elevator doors slammed closed. My eyes widened in shock and I just stood there. Staring like an idiot. Did...did he know? The whole time I was in the elevator? Did he...recognize me somehow? I shook my head, ignoring the slight headache the action caused. No. That's just insane. If he knew it was me I wouldn't have been able to walk away. Clearly, my mind was playing tricks on me. That's all it was...then why can't I get the look of his eyes out of my head?

* * *

I was exhausted. I could feel it in the way my legs shook and my breathing labored. The cold night air wasn't helping all that much either. I had no idea where I was or where to go, all I knew what that I had to keep moving. The moment I stepped out of that hospital I took off running, fear that my surprisingly successful escape would be brought to a jarring halt if I didn't put as much space as possible between me, Gavriil and his men. The busy city lights and semi-crowded sidewalks melded into a blur of activity as I pushed myself to run faster and faster. I constantly bumped into strangers in my haste, voices shouting for my attention. Either in anger or concern. I stopped for neither. I could only imagine the picture I painted. A 'nurse' in baggy scrubs, running like a mad woman. I tried to glance at street names when I could, but none of them were familiar. I felt...overwhelmed. The sounds of cars whizzing by, horns going off and tires squealing every now and then, all made me jump. My eyes were frantic as I looked around every time I had to stop to catch my breath.