Chapter 10

Tripp

I could tell something was up, Lexi's voice is shaky, like she's been crying. Maybe she feels bad for pushing me away and wants to make amends.

"What's wrong Lex? You sound upset."

"Where are you? She asks.

"I'm... I'm at the lake house with McAllister. I'm supposed to be going with him to meet a client."

Silence......

"Lex? Are you still there? What's wrong?

I can hear her sniffle on the other end, I've never known her to be so despondent before. I don't think I've ever seen her cry either. I don't like knowing that she's upset, it puts me on edge.

"Lex? I say again, hoping she'll respond.

"Sorry, I'm here."

"What's going on?

"I think Dylan may have died."

Her words shock me, and I could feel my heart start to race but, I couldn't tell if it was because of her dismal news or because this meant I may have her to myself now. A thought crosses my mind and I ask Lexi to wait a minute, then turn to McAllister.

"Sir? I have sort of an issue with my girl. Would I be imposing, if I asked if she could tag along on this trip."

"I don't mind her coming but, unless she's some sort of superhero, I don't think she can make it here in twenty minutes."

I look at him with desperation in my eyes, and normally doing anything desperate would be beneath me. He seems to empathize with me though because there's a twinkle in his eye.

"However, I could summon my jet to go and pick her up."

"Would they be able to get her in time?

Nodding his head, he pulls out his cell from his front pocket and makes the call. I realize it's been a few minutes, Lexi may be wondering where I went.

"Lexi, where are you? We're coming to get you."

"How? Isn't it like a two-hour drive?

"That's why I need to know where you're at, we are picking you up in McAllister's helicopter."

Silence....

"Lex?

"I'm parked at the Costco's off Michigan Ave. How long till I can expect you?

"Not long, be ready."

A few minutes later, McAllister's helicopter touches down and I climb in the front seat next to the pilot.

"Where's McAllister? The pilot yells.

"He's not coming, I yell back."

He nods his head and we take off. The flight there seems like it's taking longer than it should, I'm practically on the edge of my seat. Anticipation is bubbling inside of me at the thought of holding Lexi in my arms; feeling her soft skin against mine and kissing her soft lips. The pilot arcs the helicopter swinging our rear to the left when I spot the Costco sign. I strain my neck and find Lexi standing next to her car; waiting.

I get out of the copter and we meet each other half way. She throws her arms around me and holds me tight. We stand there for a few seconds, when I feel her start to sob against my chest. I pull her chin up to get a good look at her.

"I missed you." She says with a hitch in her voice.

"I love you Lexi Porter."

She smiles at me but, she doesn't say it back. Time is passing, and I hear a whistle from behind me. Glancing back, I see the pilot point to his watch, reminding me of the time.

"Come on, we need to go."

She walks with me to the helicopter and I help her get buckled in. On the way back to the lake house, I periodically glance back to check on her. By the time we arrive, she's fast asleep. I don't have the heart to wake her, so I carry her to the Yacht. Somehow, I manage to climb the stairs to the dock with Lexi in my arms. McAllister is waiting for me at the top and offers to help but, I respectfully decline. I take her to the guestroom in the back and lay her gently on the bed, she stirs slightly but doesn't wake. I change out of my clothes and kiss Lexi on the cheek before retiring to the main saloon where McAllister is waiting for me.

"Is she alright? McAllister asks.

"I don't know, she's really upset."

"Do you know why she's upset?

"A good friend of hers may have died."

"May have died? You mean she doesn't know?

"Honestly, I don't have all the details. I'm hoping she'll be ready to talk in the morning.

McAllister stands in the doorway watching the moon's reflection dance off the waves.

"Did you ever get a chance to tell her how you feel? He asks, looking at me curiously.

"Yes...I did." I say hesitantly. Not really wanting to explain in any detail how she initially rejected me.

"How did she react?

"Honestly... not the way I expected her to, at least not at first but, I think if I give her some time to get over whatever is going on, she'll reciprocate my feelings.

McAllister nods and seems satisfied with my response. After a few minutes of talking about tomorrow's agenda, he retires to his bedroom. I'm relieved because all I wanted to do since I got here is crawl into bed with Lexi and feel her warmth against me; to know that she is here and I'm not dreaming. I quietly open the door and find Lexi still sound asleep. I grab a blanket off the end of the bed and slide in next to her, making sure to give her most of the covers. I wrap my arm around her and pull her in close to me. She is warm and her hair smells like coconuts. I lie there for a few moments enjoying her body against mine and appreciating that she is here with me.

The next morning, I wake to the sun shining in through the porthole window. The sun is shining directly onto Lexi; casting bright rays of yellow light onto her auburn hair. Her beauty takes my breath away and I don't want this moment to ever end. I'm about to wrap my arm around her when I hear my cell ring. Only, it isn't my cell, it's Lexi's. I grab her phone off the bedside table and glance at the screen. Leanne. I muffle the ring, so it doesn't wake Lexi and wait for voicemail to pick up. When I hear the familiar tone of the voice mail, I punch in Lexi's code and listen.

"Lexi? You need to get to the hospital NOW. It's Dylan, he's awake."

My heart races and I can feel the adrenalin rush through me like lava. I'm glad that Dylan guy is ok but, my heart belongs to Lex and I don't ever want to see her with anyone else other than me. I love her more than he does, he's just going to have to learn to live without her. I push seven and delete the message, placing her phone back on the nightstand.