Chapter 13

Lexi

Of all the things I was expecting him to ask me, asking me to marry him wasn't one of them. I thought he might be upset or disappointed that I wasn't here when he woke up. I know that if it were me, I would have been disappointed. Looking into his eyes, I can tell how much he loves me and I love him just as much. I can imagine spending the rest of my life with him, buying our first house together, our first car, having kids. He loves me, and I love him, that's all that matters. I'm doing this.

"Yes. I'll marry you." I say excitedly, hugging him close to me.

"Lexi?

Turning my head, Leanne and Parker are standing in the room holding bags of take out. I can tell Leanne looks pissed off and Parker seems indifferent.

"Where the HELL have you been? I've been trying to get a hold of you for the past twelve hours."

"It's a long story and I would rather not get into right now. I promise I'll tell you about it later."

"Fine."

Leanne and Parker put their bags down on the table and offer us some food, Dylan and I politely decline.

"The only thing I want to eat is you." Dylan whispers into my ear.

I laugh softly into his shirt, he wraps his arm around my shoulder and we lay there together for hours. After a while Leanne and Parker admit that their tired and need to get home.

"Um... could you hold up a minute we have some news to tell you." I can tell Dylan is trying to hide his excitement.

"What's up? They ask at the same time.

"We're engaged to be married."

Leanne's eyes are as round as saucers and Parker is smiling.

"Seriously." Parker says.

"Yes, seriously."

"That's great man, I'm happy for you." He gives Dylan a semi-bro hug. Since Dylan is still lying in bed.

"Thanks man."

"Congrats to you both." He says, hugging me next.

I look over at Leanne and she's just standing there. I can't tell if she's happy or not. I'm a little worried that she's too pissed at me to be excited for me.

"Can I see you in the hall for a moment Lex?

I look at Parker but, he just shrugs his shoulders at me. Dylan looks at me and raises his eyebrows.

"Good luck." He says.

"Yeah...right."

"Hey, what's up? I say meeting her just outside of the door.

"Are you serious right now, you disappear off the face of the earth, don't bother calling me back, then what? You just show up and now you're engaged."

"I didn't call you back because I didn't know about the message, not until later."

"What the fuck does that mean? What happened to you?

"Look," I say as I guide her away from the door, out of ear shot from Dylan and Parker.

"Last night, I did something stupid. I snuck into the hospital and when I got to Dylan's room, he wasn't there. I panicked, I thought the worst had happened. The bed had been stripped the machines were gone and worst of all, I thought Dylan was gone."

"You thought he was dead?

"Yes, I did. I was so upset, I ran, and I ended up crashing into a staff member. After I left, I completely lost my shit and ended up pulling over at Cosco's. I sat in the parking lot and after a while I became so distraught that I did something even more stupid."