Chapter Four: Losing Control

Song: Not Alone by Red

*

*

I booked the earliest flight to Russia the next day.

Tomorrow morning I am leaving early in the morning to catch my flight.

I feel bad leaving my family two days after I just got back from serving, but this is my mate and they understand.

But I haven't told them she's a vampire yet.

I have heard horror stories of what the vampires did to my people. They pillaged, raped, and enslaved us by the masses. My own mother was a victim of their violence, as was her entire pack and family.

Even now, decades later after the war, hate is still spewed about the vampire species. The tables have been turned and now, vampires are slaves to the werewolves. Vampires are now beaten to an inch of their lives by the werewolves.

And I find it so hypocritical that the werewolves fought to end slavery yet they jumped at the chance to enslave another species. I thought they were against slavery, yet here they are enslaving another species.

Maybe I don't understand because I didn't grow up in that era. Maybe I don't understand because I've never seen the abuse and suffering my species faced because of the vampires.

Not only that, but it is against werewolf law for any wolf to mate with a vampire. I will be rejected by my pack, my friends, and my family will be disappointed in me.

When I looked upon my mate's beautiful features I knew. I knew right then and there that I would fight for her and our rights to mate. Her name....I don't even know her name. I don't know anything about her.

Her eyes were large and wide with fear and....nothing. Like she had given up on life. Like she had switched off a light and stopped living. But how can one truly live in a situation like she is in?

I go to bed early that night in preparation for my equally as early flight. I have to get up at three in the morning to catch my flight to that small, frozen city in Russia. My mate's scent has been engraved into my memory, my wolf remembering every detail we will need in order to find her.

But I practically get no sleep that night. I toss and turn, lying wide awake on my back and staring up blankly at the ceiling. My eyes burn for sleep and my mind begs for rest, but I cannot bring myself to sleep. My wolf seems to keep whining, crying, and howling for his mate.

My wolf is a bit more sensitive than I. He has cried all night long, and now that he's seen his mate, it's as if he has separation anxiety. Wolves are social creatures, that's why werewolves live in packs.

It's to sate their social instincts.

Being cast out as a rogue wolf causes immense pain for both human and animal. It's a form of social isolation. Wolves depend and care for one another in a pack, so when a wolf is driven from their home, it is painful.

I've heard it feels like your own heart and soul are being twisted and stabbed repeatedly with silver blades.

I'm anxious, too. But his anxiousness is more severe than mine and it keeps me up all night long.

So when morning finally dawns, I am feeling tired. The motivation for revenge fuels my energy as I throw the covers off of my body and grab the small suitcase I had packed for the trip.

The airport is over an hour drive away, and my flight leaves at seven in the morning. It takes at least an hour checking in my suitcase and standing in line at the airport, so I get up at four-thirty in the morning.