Chapter Eight: Bringing Her Home

Song: Forever by Red

*

Anya's eyes widened when she saw the intricate design of my home. Everything about America is different than what she's used to.

The roads, the sides in which we drive, the language, and, of course, the homes. Driving in an actual car was also a new experience for her, as I have found out. In Russia, she was always either transported everywhere by simply walking, or, by filthy cattle trucks.

She had never seen the luxury cars behold.

And it's then that I realize I take a lot of things for granted.

I've grown up with the luxuries freedom gives me while Anya has grown up with nothing. She's known nothing all her life. Shambles and ruin made is what she's known all her life, and I do hope she doesn't get too overwhelmed by how much different life is here.

She hasn't said a single word since the I've cleaned her wounds in the motel that one night. I glance in her direction and immediately, her body starts quaking with fear.

I'm lost. I don't really know what to do. How can one handle this situation? She's in constant fear and even  the slightest noise causes her to jump.

However, now that she's relaxed in the car, her silver eyes dance around her surroundings. She smashes her face against the window, watching the ground speed by. Little 'Ouuuu's and aweees' escape her lips from time to time when she watches her surroundings whiz passed her.

Every time she makes cute sounds in amazement, I can't help but smile.

Because some where, deep inside, are feelings other than fear. There's more to her than just her timid, abused exterior and I intend to find out every little piece of her.

The good, the bad, and the ugly.

I will except it all.

Pulling back onto my pack lands, I feel anxious. Surely, the wolves will be picking up the scent of vampire any moment now, and that's what I fear. They had been taught to hate vampires because of what they've done to our species.

Many of the werewolves were even alive during the Great War, as they call it. Those who lived through the war tell tales of slavery, abuse, betrayal, and finally, defeat.

They keep the memories alive and strong for all to hear around them.

And I do agree that what the vampires did was horrible and the ones responsible deserve punishment.

But the majority of vampires around today have had nothing to do what their ancestors had done. Most of the ones responsible for the abuse and slavery of werewolves and humans have been executed for war crimes.

So the majority of vampires alive today have had nothing to do with the war from decades ago. Most don't even know about it, as many have been brainwashed into doing nothing but serving their superiors.

Some vampires are almost robotic-like, and it's scary. They travel around with a blank look in their eyes, as if nobody is home inside their heads.

It's not moral what has become of the innocent vampires.

We as werewolves aren't any better from the very beings that we seek to destroy.

It's hypocritical and if I can't persuade the werewolf council to open their eyes, then horrible consequences will follow if they find out about my vampiric mate.

All hell could break loose, and that's what I fear.

Werewolves will look at me with disgust. I won't be excepted into society anymore and I would be banished as a rogue and my rights as well as my mate would be stripped away from me by the werewolf council.