Chapter Seventeen: Condemned

Song: I Just Died in Your Arms by Hidden Citizens

*

*

A mass of werewolves swarmed the courtroom when the sun rose above the hills. I took my stance in the center of the room, and I was heavily guarded by both chains as well as other werewolves.

Werewolf court hearings were different than that of a human's. 

If one is found guilty of breaking the law, there has to be at least three eye witnesses to prove the convicted guilty. In extreme cases of rape and murder, however, if found guilty, are to be publicly whipped with silver to the brink of death before they are publicly executed in a slow manner.

Rape and murder rates are low amongst werewolves, and I think the extreme punishments against it helps keep the numbers down.

The courtroom was packed full, and my eyes quickly found my family. Every single one of my family members looked distraught  and in their eyes, held fear.

Fear for my future.

It was forbidden to have family members come and visit during the court appearance. They can, however, have a few moments after the court hearing before my punishment, whatever it may be.

I looked all around for my mate, but she was found nowhere. Not even her scent lingered, and my wolf became anxious, pacing around like a caged animal.

His anxiousness was making me feel worse than I already felt. It was best to be calm whenever in the court among werewolves, but my composure was slipping, and it was slipping fast.

The loud sound of the mallet hammering against the wood sounded around the room, signalling it was time for court to be in session. I had no lawyer, no one to stand with me.

I had broken the law, and that's all it took. My mate was a vampire, and that's all it took.

It was apparent that I would be on the losing side today, and I felt sick when I thought about what they would do to Anya in my absence.

They won't do anything to her unless they wish to face my wrath. I growl to myself.

"Court is officially in session, and today, we present quite a special case. Donovan Scath, of Elusive Night Pack. He has been accused of pairing with a vampiric mate, which is forbidden in our laws. As you all are aware, vampires had mistreated our kind for years, before they were finally overthrown in one of the great wars." The judge says, glaring at me.

I glare at him back with hatred. My fists curl tightly in their chains.

I had no chance of winning the trial. They might as well condemn me guilty this instant, but they intend to drag me through the dirt and try to humiliate me and tear down my name.

But how could a sane werewolf be ashamed by their own mate? They should understand more than any other species that mates are your other half.

But they based their laws upon hate, which has proven to be a drastic mistake.

The judge called the three eye witnesses to the stand, to prove me guilty. The three eye witnesses was from my very own pack, and I felt betrayed and glared at them with fury as I watched them state their claims.

My wolf growled and paced, growled and paced, wanting to tear at their throats for their betrayal. Wolves don't take kindly to that subject, and often cast the traitors out of their own pack.

And now he wanted nothing more than to cast death upon everyone who stood in his way.

I looked across the other side of the courtroom to see my mom gritting her teeth together. She looked angry, and she repeatedly had to be held back by my father.