Chapter Twenty Two: The Cries

Song: Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day

*

*

My entire face aches and I've had a headache for the last two weeks since my teeth were ripped from my mouth. The holes were soggy scabs and opening my mouth hurt too much.

Of course, my Master made too many jokes - both crude and disrespectful about that fact. He believes he should rip all my teeth out more often to keep me from speaking my mind.

Not like I spoke my mind, much, any way.

Brinley always gives me a sad look, but I refuse to talk to her. How could I? Every time I'm near her I have the urge to kill her.

I don't want to kill her.

Maybe she deserves mercy and grace for once in her life. She was at the cabin with us, and I'm sure there's a logical reason behind why.

Maybe I should cut her some slack.

She is going through hard times too, and creating enemies in a situation like this only makes things worse.

Perhaps....I should talk to her.

Maybe making things right would be best for the both of us.

I sigh as I drop the sponge back into the dirty bucket of cleaning water and push myself off of the tile floors. My knees are bruised and scraped, and they ache from sitting on them all day long cleaning.

I'm also becoming a bit weak.

I haven't had a proper meal in what feels like years.

I wander my way through the house until I find the kitchen. I dump the dirty bucket of water down the sink and stock up on my cleaning supplies.

It's going to be a long, tedious day.

But, at least I was getting beaten. I'm just thankful that while I'm occupied with chores, I'm usually not bothered much and the pack normally leaves me alone.

So, as long as I go unnoticed, I shouldn't complain.

Because things could be much, much worse.

* * *

It was an average day at the house that enslaves me. It was filled with submission, fear, and obedience. It started out like any other depressing day, except today was the day I was going to make things right between Brinley and I.

I should give her a chance to explain herself, perhaps she was threatened and was forced to betray me.

Until I know the whole story, I shouldn't despise her.

So, putting away my pride, I head down the old wooden, spiraling staircase in search of Brinley. She was probably tending the kitchens like she normally does, and sure enough, I found her there, chopping meat for the dinner later that night.

Her head was bowed and her brown hair was in a ponytail. Several loose strands fell in her face and he expression looked depressed.

"B-Brinley." I call out, hesitantly.

She jumps, startled at both my presence and my voice. She looks shaken as she hesitantly raises her eyes to meet mine.

I blow out a puff of air. What was I supposed to say? "Sorry for ripping a hole into your throat?"

"I-I just wanted to talk things out. I know we've been on bad terms and I-"

I'm stopped when Brinley falls to her knees and bows in front of me.