First Trip Forward

"Off we go."

-

The engines started up, and the Doctor beamed at the sisters, "Right then Mei and Rose Tyler, you tell me, where do you wanna go? Backwards or forwards in time? It's your choice, what's it gonna be?"

The girls looked at each other, speaking with their eyes before answering in sync, "Forwards."

Pressing a couple of buttons the Doctor asked, "How far?"

"One hundred years?" Rose asked.

"No, more, like, a thousand years," Mei piped up, bouncing on her toes.

"One hundred years is a bit boring," the Doctor agreed, "How about-" he messed around on the console, "Ten thousand years in the future. Step out there it's the year 12005. The new Roman Empire."

"You think you're so impressive," Mei smirked, "How about the year . . . two billion or something? Now THAT would be impressive."

"Right then, you asked for it," he pointed at her with a cheeky grin and got to work. The sisters squealed as the TARDIS shook and rocked, clinging to the console and the Doctor even went as far as to ding a little bell when they stopped.

"Where are we?" Rose asked.

The Doctor gestured for them to go outside but Mei cleared her throat, "Before we go adventuring, can I change? I mean YOU might like the smell of burnt plastic but its making me sort of sick."

"She's got a point," Rose said after sniffing her jumper.

"Oh alright, you humans," the Doctor complained, and closed his eyes. There was a hum in the back of his mind and a second later two trails of lights lit up on the floor, leading different ways. "Rose you follow this path," he put her on one set of lights, "The TARDIS will take you to your new room, and Mei," he put her by the other path, "Yours is that way."

"We get rooms?" Mei asked, then grinned and ran off, yelling over her shoulder, "This is awesome!"

Rose gave a laugh of her own and wandered off, leaving the Doctor alone in the console. He shook his head, smiling at the two of them, then glanced along the trail Mei had taken. The TARDIS hummed in the back of his mind, turning the tips of his ears read and he quickly went to the screen, checking he had got the right date.

"This is absolutely amazing," Mei said as she returned ten minutes later, "I got a shower and the TARDIS picked out my clothes and everything."

The Doctor turned, surprised that the Tardis had done so, and gave her a once over. Shorts and combat boots, it was different, he'd give her that.

"She does that sometimes," he lied, turning back to the console as she wandered over to stand beside him

"Hey um, Doctor?" he looked down at her, "You know how you said you have two hearts?"