Saying Goodbye

Leaving the safety of the Tardis, the Doctor, Mei, Rose and Jack found themselves surrounded. At the sight of them, the Daleks immediately began to chant the one word that sent chills down Mei's spine.

"Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate!"

However, their death rays were stopped by the extrapolator force field a good few metres away from the Tardis and the Doctor grinned.

"Is that it? Useless! Nul points," he mocked, "That force field can hold back anything."

"Almost anything," Jack corrected, only for Rose to elbow him in the side.

"Yeah, we weren't meant to tell them that," Mei said, rolling her eyes as the man apologised quietly.

The Doctor held up his hand to tell the other three to wait as he approached the Daleks but stayed within the force field, "Do you know what they call me in the ancient legends of the Dalek Homeworld? The Oncoming Storm. You might've removed all your emotions but I reckon right down deep in your DNA, there's one little spark left, and that's fear. Doesn't it just burn when you face me? So tell me. How did you survive the Time War?"

A deep electronic voice sounded from within the ship, "They survived through me."

Mei's stomach flipped as the lights flickered on to reveal a massive metal construction with a mutant Dalek inside a small glass chamber. It was almost like the thing was on a throne.

"Mei, Rose, Captain, this is the Emperor of the Daleks," the Doctor introduced, sounding surprised.

The Emperor of the Daleks ignored the other three, focusing only on the Time Lord, "You destroyed us, Doctor. The Dalek race died in your inferno, but my ship survived, falling through time, crippled but alive."

"I get it," he muttered.

The Daleks around them all reacted at once, chanting, "Do not interrupt."

Rolling his eyes, the Doctor looked around at them, "I think you're forgetting something. I'm the Doctor, and if there's one thing I can do, it's talk. I've got five billion languages, and you haven't got one way of stopping me. So if anybody's going to shut up, it's you!" At the fierceness in his voice, the Daleks closest to the Doctor wheeled back, almost as if they were scared. "Okay doke. So, where were we?"

"We waited here in the dark space, damaged but rebuilding. Centuries passed, and we quietly infiltrated the systems of Earth, harvesting the waste of humanity. The prisoners, the refugees, the dispossessed. They all came to us. The bodies were filtered, pulped, sifted. The seed of the human race is perverted. Only one cell in a billion was fit to be nurtured."

"Then you created an army out of the dead," Mei realised, feeling sick, "You made yourselves from humans, that makes you all half human."

"Those words are blasphemy!" The Emperor spoke loudly.

"Do not blaspheme," the Daleks around the group chanted.

The Emperor continued, while the Doctor looked as though he was having an epiphany, "Everything human has been purged. I cultivated pure and blessed Dalek."

"Since when did the Daleks understand blasphemy or religion?" Rose asked, "That one in Utah didn't even understand emotions."

"I reached into the dirt and made new life. I am the God of all Daleks!" The Emperor announced.

"Worship him. Worship him. Worship him!" the Daleks chanted.

"They're insane," the Doctor told Rose, Mei and Jack, "Hiding in silence for hundreds of years, that's enough to drive anyone mad. But it's worse than that. Driven mad by your own flesh. The stink of humanity. You hate your own existence. And that makes them more deadly than ever. We're going."