I knew I Didn't Like Him

"I really don't think we're far enough along in our relationship to start with the kinky stuff," Mei commented as she was fastened into a set of heavy manacles on one side of the Doctor, her sister on the other. 

"I'll make an exception for you darling," the Editor commented, amused. He then went back to bragging about his master plan, "Create a climate of fear and it's easy to keep the borders closed. It's just a matter of emphasis. The right word in the right broadcast repeated often enough can destabilise an economy, invent an enemy, change a vote."

"So all the people on Earth are like, slaves?" Rose asked, her face scrunched up in disgust.

The pale man paused for a second, then gave her his attention, "Well, now, there's an interesting point. Is a slave a slave if he doesn't know he's enslaved?" 

"Yes," the Doctor replied bluntly, his gaze on the floor in front of him in a bored fashion.

The Editor pouted, "Oh. I was hoping for a philosophical debate. Is that all I'm going to get? Yes?"

"Yes," came the response Mei had expected.

And there went another pout, "You're no fun."

The Doctor tugged at his restraints, "Let me out of these manacles. You'll find out how much fun I am."

Mei raised an eyebrow in amusement, but glared at the Editor as he laughed. Clearly the pale man seemed to find the Doctor funny as well.

"Oh, he's tough, isn't he?" he aimed at Mei, who rolled her eyes, "But, come on. Isn't it a great system? You've got to admire it, just a little bit."

"Admire what?" the brunette asked, "No one knows whats going on, so no one really gives a shit about who you are or what you do! You're a coward, hiding behind that lump of teeth up there! And whenever anyone starts to notice, you use those chips to get rid of them! You've turned the human race into a herd of cattle!"

Grinning, the Editor leaned toward her, "Yes, and in that respect, the Jagrafess hasn't changed a thing."

"Yeah but," Rose spoke up, seeing Cathica over the Editor's back, "What about you? You're not a Jagra-jagra-uh-jagrabelly-"

"Jagrafess," the Doctor and Mei chimed, correcting her.

"Jagrafess," the blonde nodded, "You're not a Jagrafess. You're human."

"Yeah, well, simply being human doesn't pay very well."

"Well i'm not disagreeing," Mei shrugged as best she could, "But you couldn't have done this all on your own."

"No," he agreed with a laugh, "I represent a consortium of banks. Money prefers a long-term investment. Also, the Jagrafess needed a little hand to install himself."

"No wonder, a creature that size," The Doctor piped up, looking curious, "What's his life span?" 

"Three thousand years."

"Say what?" Mei asked, tilting her head back to look at the creature, "Three thousand? Bloody hell."

"Yup, and that's one hell of a metabolism generating all that heat," The Doctor explained, his eyes carefully meeting Cathica's, "That's why Satellite Five's so hot. You pump it out of the creature, channel it downstairs. Jagrafess stays cool, it stays alive."

"Oh," Mei nodded, "So Satellite Five is kind of like a life support system."

"So if it were to heat up," Rose caught on, "The Jagrafess would-would-"