A not so warm welcome

You carefully observed his small desk as you eagerly awaited his reply. A coffee cup, a notebook, and some sticky notes, littered the untidy surface.

A shiny pair of aviator sunglasses sat towards the edge of his desk perfectly reflecting his computer screen.

"Well, welcome to the team I guess".
Gavin replied in a condescending tone as his eyes darted back towards his phone screen.

You opened your mouth to reply but a tall android and an older looking man grabbed your attention first.

"You're the new girl right"?
The older man spoke as the android stood beside your desk giving you a welcoming smile.

"Uh yeah, I'm Y/N L/N, and you are"?
You asked politely looking up at the two men  who towered above you.

"I'm Lieutenant Hank Anderson and this is my partner Connor".
Hank introduced himself.

"Pleasure to meet you two".
You smiled back.

"And you as well".
Connor responded before they walked towards their set of desks which sat just behind yours.

You sat silently for a minute trying to figure out what to say to Gavin who just stared intently at his phone screen.

"So we're partners now hey"?
You leaned your elbows on your desk attempting to grab his attention.

"Yeah, unfortunately".
He turned his phone off setting it aside and crossing him arms across his chest.

Your once enthusiastic smile changed to a small frown instantaneously.

"Um okay, uh well I'm glad I'm working with you".
You tried to be humble, anger was never the way to resolve an issue even though he really was getting on your nerves.

"Listen here princess".
Gavin began rudely as your brows knit together slightly while a surprised look crossed your face.

"I'm not here to make friends with you, I was forced into this and I don't want you thinking we're gonna be anything more than partners".
He half whispered bluntly the frown on your face becoming larger.

You didn't know how to respond, a million things were going through your head at once.

Should I be rude? Should I be kind?

Your heart raced as you tried to find a way to respond to this. Fortunately, you've dealt with people like this before. You had hundreds of crude comebacks to use, finding the right one was the hard part.

"Wow, you really are lost in my eyes aren't you? typical".
Gavin gushed sarcastically.

You truly didn't realize how long you were silent for.

"I, I".
You stammered unable to form proper sentences.

Come on! Think! Think!

"At a loss for words"?
Gavin chuckled ignorantly as he watched you panic.

"No, it's just hard to speak to you when your humongous ego is in the way".
You defended yourself confidently.

"My humongous ego? Really"?
Gavin replied offhandedly.

"Perhaps it's compensating for something".
You burned him, a small laugh coming from Hank who was obviously listening in.

Gavin didn't respond, he just sat there flushed with embarrassment.

"Not so smug now are you"?
You added his face now bright red.

"Fuck off, I've got more important things to focus on than you're annoying ass".
Gavin bashed clearly annoyed by your clever comebacks.

"More important things huh? I think the first thing you should be doing is closing your documents folder on your computer".
You leaned against the edge of your desk staring into his sunglasses able to view all his files.

"What? Why"?
He asked confused.

"People might see your not so secret porn folder".
You grinned as he immediately grabbed the mouse of his computer and closed the electronic file folder. You could hear Hank chuckling from behind you.

"How the fuck".
He leaned closer to you.
"How the fuck did you see that".
He whispered.

You directed your eyes to the sunglasses sitting on the edge of his desk.

"Reflections".
You smiled placing your back on the chair.

"Whatever, just, forget it, I'll email you the case files".
Gavin said abruptly as he snatched the sunglasses off the desktop and stored them in a drawer underneath it.

Luckily your job was pretty easy, you did most of the researching and paragraph writing for cases, you weren't supposed to go on outside missions or even carry a gun.

The day went by slow until Fowler called Gavin into his office. He disappeared temporarily and came back holding a pad of paper and a pencil.

"Fowler wants us on parking duty, handing out tickets and shit".
He groaned grabbing his jacket which hung off the back of his chair.

"Oh, uh okay, where are we going exactly"?
You questioned finishing up your last case file.

"Just down the road".
He said shoving his phone in his pocket and grabbing his coffee cup.

"Lets go I guess".
You said as you logged out of your computer and picked up your purse.