six

"Police are baffled by the escalating murders and disappearances

"Police are baffled by the escalating murders and disappearances. Theories range from a vicious new gang to a wildly active serial killer... Reporting live, Dawn Chubai. CNN."

Carlisle and Jasper watched with concern, while Emmett was draped over the couch comfortably. Iris was sitting on Emmett's lap with a frown on her face. Her happiness was wavering and slowly going down as she listened on.

"It's getting worse. We're going to have to do something," Carlisle announced.

Jasper sighed. "It takes more than one of our kind to cause the damage they're reporting. Quite a few more. They're undisciplined, conspicuous - "

"Newborns," Edward answered.

Iris was now completely not happy at the news. Jasper sensed her unhappiness, casting her a glance. He sent a wave of calm to her, which she smiled at, but shook her head.

"What, like new vampires?" Bella asked.

Edward nodded. "In their first few months after the change."

"That's when we're at our most uncontrollable - vicious, insane with thirst," Jasper described.

"Something to look forward to," Emmett said.

"No one has trained these newborns, but this isn't random," Jasper added.

"Someone's creating an army," Carlisle said in realization.

Jasper nodded.

Emmett immediately stood up, holding Iris in his arms as he did so. "Oh, now we definitely going to Seattle."

Iris let out a small laugh as she stared up at Emmett. He swung her gently side to side. Her feet were hovering in the air. Her happiness was coming back.

"An army of vampires?" Bella asked.

"And they've been created to fight someone," Jasper included.

"We're the only clan even close to Seattle," Edward said.

"Regardless of who are they were, if we don't put a stop to them, the Volturi will. I'm surprised they've let it go on this long," Carlisle said.

"Maybe they're behind it," Edward suggested. "In Italy, I read Aro's mind. He wants me and Alice to join him. Our gifts would shore up his power. He knows we'd never choose him as long as our family is still alive. An army could solve that for him."

Iris frowned and wiggled her way out of Emmett's hands. She flashed over to Edward and hugged him, trying to be happy for him to feed off of. Edward smiled at her, patting her head in thanks.

"We can't wait two weeks for graduation," Bella said. "You need to change me now."

"You'd be a liability as a newborn. Unable to control your instincts. An easy target," Jasper said.

Carlisle put an empathetic hand on Bella's shoulder. "There's also your father to consider. And your mother. How terrible would it be for them if you suddenly disappeared?"

Bella stayed silent, knowing he was right. Bella was Iris's next victim. She walked over to the human - to not frighten her - and hugged her, nuzzling her nose into Bella's shoulder. Bella loosened her shoulders and sighed at the comfort Iris was giving her.