twenty-one

"I hope you'll be happy, Bella," Billy said

"Thank you, Billy. Have you heard from him?" Bella asked.

"I'm sure Jake wishes you the best. Well, I plan on getting drunk. They're serving up some pretty fancy champagne," Billy said as he wheeled on over to the table.

Carmen walked up to the newlywed couple. "Congratulations, Edward."

"Thank you."

"Eleazar and Carmen, right?" Bella questioned.

Carmen nodded.

"Yes, and these are our cousins from Alaska. Tanya, Kate," Edward introduced.

"We've heard so much about you," Kate said.

"Welcome to the family. Bienvenida," Eleazar said.

"Thank you," Bella replied.

Carmen looked at Irina. "Come meet Bella."

Irina was staring at Billy and Seth, then she turned away and walked over to Carmen.

"I can't do this," Irina whispered.

Tanya gave her a look. "You promised."

"They invited one," Irina said, looking at Seth.

Edward shook his head. "Irina, he's our friend."

"They killed Laurent," Irina hissed.

"He tried to kill Bella," Edward retorted.

Irina shook her head in denial. "I don't believe that. He wanted to be like us. To live in peace with humans - with me."

Edward grimaced. "I'm sorry."

Irina walked away, not wanting to hear it. The love of her life had died by their hands. She thought Edward would understand.

"Irina!" Carmen shouted.

"Well, let's not monopolize the bride. Congratulations," Eleazar said.

"Thank you," Bella said.

"Sorry," Tanya apologized.

They walked away.

"Well, what's a wedding without some family drama?" Edward asked, trying to lighten the mood.

Paul arrived at the wedding, looking around for Iris. He didn't want to come for the actual wedding, so he showed up after.

"Hey, I'm glad you made it," Iris said as she walked up to Paul.

He smiled stiffly at her. "I wouldn't miss a chance to see you again."

Iris's smiled faltered. "I know you're trying to flirt with me, but it's obvious that you're uncomfortable right now."

He chuckled. "Sorry, vampire weddings were never my thing."

"Seth is here. You can talk to him."

"I'd rather talk to you. Seth's an annoying kid anyway," Paul said.

Iris grinned. "Okay."

She grabbed his hand and dragged him to the buffet table. She saw Emmett leaning on the table, watching the party.

Paul immediately recognized him and tried to pull Iris back. She hummed as she used her vampire strength to drag him even further.

"Not fair," he growled.

"Keep your growls to yourself, Mister," Iris scolded.

She kept a smile on her face as she walked up to Emmett with Paul. Emmett raised an eyebrow as he saw who she brought.

"What are you doing, Iris?" Emmett asked.

"Making you two friends."

"Iris, I don't - "

"Shut up, Paul," Iris said. "I'm not going to have my brother and boyfriend hate each other."

"Boyfriend?" Paul and Emmett questioned.

"Maybe," she said. "Now be friends! Talk about football. Paul, meet Emmett, a sports fanatic. Emmett, meet Paul, a former football player."