My Girl

I stood there in the middle of the dining room, clutching my purse because I couldn't figure out anything else to do. I felt so awkward and nervous. I've never been inside of Honeys house which now that I think about it is kind of weird. I've been here for 2 months and some change and we've spent almost every day together. But not once have I seen the inside of her house. I lowkey always wondered what her room would look like. Is that weird?

It smells just like her.

I felt a light squeeze on my hand and I knew that touch all too well. I looked up to see honey giving me a reassuring smile. Which did calm me down the tiniest bit. I guess she could tell I'm nervous which I shouldn't be. It's not like I'm meeting my girlfriends mother. Just my bestfriends mom, right?

"Well this must be the Giovanni I've been hearing about" I heard a voice and I looked towards the kitchen where a woman came from around the corner with a hot pie in her hand. She was a beautiful brown woman with curly hair and a bright smile. Black really don't crack cause baby, she doesn't look a day over 30.

I nodded and smiled small.

"I'm Adeline, call me Adel"

"It's nice to finally meet you, Adel" I said sticking out my hand. She looked at it for a split second

"Oh no girl, we do hugs around here" she said before taking me into her warm embrace

••••

"She just looks so happy with it" I said while staring down at an old scrap book filled with baby and childhood pictures her mom pulled out. In the book you can find an odd amount, almost too many pictures of baby honey, with a chicken wing in her hand. A greasy smile, she looks her happiest.

Adel & I have been sitting here for well over an hour laughing and gawking at these pictures while Adel tells me stories behind each one. Honey was a very happy baby.

Meanwhile she's still sitting in her chair with her face all scrunched up and red with embarrassment. We'd been having such a good time, I almost forgot she was sitting there.

"Okayyyy, we get it. Now enough with the baby pictures mom you're stealing my company" she complained

"Aww it's okay, you look so cute" I said in an annoying baby voice while pinching her cheeks. She shooed my hands away.

"Oh where's you're sense of humor?" Adel asked

"In my back pocket. Now come on ma, I have plans for me an Gi and if we don't get going soon it'll be ruined"

"We do?" I asked confused. I only thought we were going to dinner

"Yes, now come. Get your jacket" she said grabbing her car keys off the table and I did as she said, grabbing my cardigan from around the back of the dining room chair and slipping it on.

"It was so nice meeting you Gio" Adel started, standing up from her seat

"Now honey you make sure you bring her back around you hear? Don't be hiding my new friend"

"Yes momma" Honey said giving her mom. Hug and I waited for them to finished before I gave Adel one too.

"It was nice meeting you too Adel, I'll be back soon" I assure her.

She returned the hug. "Okay now, I'm gonna hold you too it" she said with a payful smile on her face.

I gathered my things and followed honey to her car. We got in and made sure to buckle up. It was around 9:30 and I wondered where she was taking me.

"Where are we going" I asked

"Don't worry, it's a surprise" she said

I hate surprises.