IV. An Unknown Lycanthropy

"It's not the future you're afraid of, it's repeating the past that makes you anxious."

Juliet's POV

After Dumbledore's scary yet informative speech, a collection of whispers filled the room. Most of the student body shaken by his speech, scurried off to their common room and started unpacking in their dorms. Once Lily and I made our way up to the room, we were greeted with our two roommates, Marlene McKinnon and Alice Fortescue, unpacking already.

"Are you guys as shocked and appalled as I am after hearing the Headmaster's speech?" Alice frightfully asked the three of us.

Lily, with an extremely laid back and calm persona, replied, "Well, Hogwarts is a very safe place, and Dumbledore told us that we had nothing to worry about, so I just don't even want to think about it. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it," she said with full confidence. Alice shot her a confused look back, but I nodded along with Marlene and Lily.

I'm not really one to show my feelings unless its something I feel very strongly about. I'm pretty much a closed book. I didn't really want to give an opinion on this scenario because I don't want to reveal anything that I shouldn't. My brother, the brother that none of my friends know exist, was involved in some pretty dark stuff before I left. So I really have reason to believe that he's a supporter of this new Dark Lord. After all, his life-long goal was to overpopulate the wizarding world with werewolves, and no better place to start than with the help of a powerful Dark Lord, right?

But what really makes me anxious, is the shocking reminder that there is a possibility of me being dragged over to the dark side due to my brother or my name. It hasn't happened yet, but I still have a whole nother year until I'm out on my own. Anything could happen.

After changing the conversation to a less triggering topic, I started and finished unpacking my belongings on the bed that I've had since my first year. I placed my clothes neatly into the drawers and on hangers, I hung up posters, I set up my little corn husk doll from my youth on my nightstand, making my area my own. All the other girls in my dorm, Lily, Marlene, and Alice, are neat freaks, and sometimes get frustrated whenever my area is a mess. But I'm about the messiest person anyone's ever met, other than James Potter and Sirius Black.

Due to my lycanthropy, Auntie Helena would supply me with enough Wolfsbane potion to last the year, so I don't lash out when I'm in werewolf form. Ever since I moved into Auntie Helena and Uncle Oliver's house, they gave me a sip of Wolfsbane potion whenever the full moon rolled around, to keep me calm and to prevent me from attacking during my werewolf state. I would take a swig of this new potion, go outside, transform into a werewolf, and either pace around the backyard or lay in a ball on the grass until the sunrise. It was painful but better than me putting other people's lives at stake. So anyways, I left to girls to "go meet with Professor Slughorn about the coursework," or so they thought.

I remember right before we left home, Helena prescribed me with the same about of Wolfsbane potion that she does every year. In a disguised water bottle, like every other year that I've been here. "Mix one tablespoon into 8 ounces of water and drink it every night before a full moon, approximately one hour before sunset," she said, just like every other year, as a reminder.

After making sure that the bottle of Wolfsbane potion was securely hidden inside my bag, I started to prepare myself for the first full moon of the term. I was ready to use the 'occasionally I sleepwalk' excuse again starting tomorrow night when the first full moon would come. I really better start coming up with a new excuse, since I've kind of been using the same one for the past seven years. Oh well.

With the first classes starting up today, Lily, Marlene, Alice, and I woke up early to get everything in order. I pulled my book bag into my hands and looking inside to make sure I had everything I needed: textbooks, parchment, quills, ink, etc.

While rummaging around for a loose quill, I felt my hand pass over cool metal and pulled out my Wolfsbane potion for only me to see. Ugh, the constant reminder of my family's past and my lifelong condition, great. I closed my book bag as I heard Marlene ask us, "Ready to go down to breakfast? My stomach is rumbling!"

After meeting the boys in the common room, the seven of us walked to the Great Hall for a breakfast of pancakes, eggs, and bacon. While I was sitting next to Remus, we all discussed our schedule, and whether or not we would all have classes together this term.

During this time, I figured out that I had Potions with Lily and James and Sirius, Muggle Studies with Remus, Arithmancy with Remus, Astronomy with Sirius and Lily, Defense Against the Dark Arts with Remus and Peter, Transfiguration with Remus and Lily, and Charms with James. This translates to four classes with Remus, three classes with Lily, two classes with James and Sirius, and one class with Peter.

Sadly, I didn't have anyone of my close friends in my Herbology or Divination. Oh well.

Moving on, especially during breakfast I liked talking with Remus. The both of us had a crazy about of stuff in common. Us both liking muggle studies and enjoying reading were only some of the things we had in common. Oh yeah. We are also both werewolves. That one's hard to forget.

Luckily, he didn't know about my lycanthropy, or that I knew of his. Still, throughout breakfast, we both talked about our upcoming classes together, and how convenient it was to have this many classes with a close friend.

The day flew by, and before I knew it, classes were finished, and Lily and I were studying in the library. I was working on reading for Muggle Studies, and Lily was working on a Defense Against the Dark Arts assignment. The term had officially started, and everything was where it should be.

Not that everything was normal, because it was not. There's a full moon tonight, and that means I have to sneak away from my closest friends and transform into a creature. The real me is hidden behind the face of a beast that I have no control over. Thank Merlin I have this Wolfsbane Potion.

The nightfall crept up on me as it usually did, and I made my way down to the forest at the edge of Hogsmeade village, where I had transformed every month, every year that I've been at Hogwarts.

I guzzled the potion-water mix down my throat and patiently waited for the sun to set and for my inner demon to take over, reading a textbook for Arithmancy until the time came.

Once the sun faded away, the bright full moon made its monthly appearance and triggered the beast within. My legs instantly grew bulkier and hairier, my fingernails turning into sharp black claws, and my eyes now the vibrant shade of yellow. It was time to become a werewolf again.

Word Count: 1256