Chapter Seventeen

Luna's heart raced as the giant man crumpled to the ground in front of her.

Her mind was having a hard time thinking about one thing, mostly she was wondering if the man was going to be okay but a small voice in the back of her head was telling her that it was her time to make an escape, to run.

Another agonizing groan fell from Shadow's lips, bringing her focus back to him.

Luna's hands were still on the mans face, barely able to keep their place as the man began to shake.

"What's wrong?!" Luna shouts, using her hands to bring the man's attention back to her.

"I-" Shadow whimpers, unable to finish his answer as another wave of pain consumed him, rendering him vulnerable.

For the first time in a long time Shadow was terrified.

He didn't know what was going on or how to make it go away.

His beast was jerking, pushing to be let out, wanting to protect Shadow and himself.

Shadow was struggling to keep the beast at bay, to stay conscious.

The only thing that was running through his mind was Luna. On one hand he didn't want anything to happen to her, wanted to force her to leave, but on another hand he didn't want her to go, he didn't want to be left alone.

"You're burning up!" Luna cries, pulling her hands away when Shadow's skin began to be too hot for her to touch, it was like the man was on fire.

All Shadow could do to respond was groan, trying to convey how much he wanted her hands back on his face.

"Lay down, you need to cool off." Luna demands, using her hands to guide the giant man onto his back.

When Luna stands and sees the large man writhing in pain the thought about her leaving vanished, she wouldn't want to be left alone in this situation so why would she leave him?

Without saying a word, Luna scrambles to the back door, remembering that she had seen a bucket laying on the ground.

"Please," Shadow calls out, "don't leave me alone." He was begging her, realizing that she was about to walk out the back door.

"I'll be back, I promise." Luna states hurriedly as the pulls the back door closed behind her.

The moment that Luna had walked out of the cabin, Shadow began to cry, scared to be alone, scared that she wasn't going to come back.

He knew that there was no chance that she was going to come back, he had taken her, hurt her.

Memories began to swim in his mind, playing like a movie, showing him as a young boy being chained underground, begging for his mother and father, begging someone to come and help him.

"Please." He whimpers, rolling onto his side, curling into a ball, hoping for it to end.

The pain was similar to when he had first shifted, the feeling of his body trying to rearrange itself starting with the inside, the feeling of being completely vulnerable, unable to do anything but lay there and cry.

He hated it. This wasn't a feeling that he had ever wanted to feel again.

Unable to hold the anxious beast back any longer, Shadow let him take over, hoping that he would take all the pain away.

Shadow yelled out as his body began to break and shift, taking the form of the beast.

Pain. Red, hot pain shot through his entire body causing him to jerk, unable to make any sound.

Just as he slipped into darkness, Luna clambered through the back door, water sloshing onto the floor as she hurriedly locks the door behind her.

"I'm sorry it took-" Her sentence dies on her lips when she turns and sees the large animal that stood on all fours in the living room.

The animal was about two feet away from the ceiling, his fur was so black it almost looked blue in certain lighting, his eyes are a never ending pool of darkness as they focus on her. He was so large that the couch was broken and pushed against the front of the cabin, blocking the front door.

The beast was breathing hard, still in pain, as he looks over Luna, checking to see if she was okay.

Luna's eyes were wide and it was evident that she had shed a few tears. Her cheeks were bright red and she was winded from rushing to get the water that was now in the bucket.

The beast could tell that she was scared, though there was another feeling, one that was stronger than the fear, awe.

Her eyes flitted to the shredded clothes that were beneath the animal, confirming her suspicions.

"You're a lycan." she states, meeting his black eyes.

Luna huffs, setting the bucket down beside her before leaning against the back door, trying to catch her breath and take some weight off of her left foot.

When the beast sees Luna wince, he steps forwards, wanting to help her, but crumbles to the ground instead, letting out a whimper.

"You're still hurting." She whispers, standing straight.

The beast watches Luna's every move as she begins to search through the kitchen.

"Of course." Luna throws her hands up, letting them slap her sides, frustration clear in her voice.

He makes a noise, drawing the woman's attention to him.

"Can I come closer?" She asks, glancing at the scraps of fabric that littered the floor around him.

He lets his head fall to the floor, wanting her to know that he wasn't going to harm her.

Luna picks up the bucket before limping towards the animal, taking a seat on the floor in front of him, crossing her legs.

"You're bigger than the others." Luna mentions as she grabs the largest piece of cloth that was in her reach.

The beasts eyes follow her movement as she dips it into the water, wringing it out before slowly bringing it to his head.

When the beast sighs and leans into her touch, Luna smiles.

"You're not as mean as he makes you out to be." She coos, kissing his head.

Her saying that causes him to look at her wrists, angry at himself for doing that to her.

Using his snout, he places it gently on top of her wrist, sniffing it.

Before she realizes it, the wolf uses his front teeth to pull the bandage from her left wrist.

"Hey!" She shouts, attempting to pull her hand away.

Her heart tripped when he began to lick her raw wrists, whimpering while doing so.