⋅⋆ x.

𝟎𝟏𝟎. ❝ NOTHING WE CAN DO. ❞

     — HUNTING, AS IT WOULD HAPPEN, TOOK EVERY OUNCE OF TIREDNESS AWAY FROM CLEO

     — HUNTING, AS IT WOULD HAPPEN, TOOK EVERY OUNCE OF TIREDNESS AWAY FROM CLEO. She was on high alert with every step she took, keeping an eye out for what could potentially be dinner. Her hunger was forgotten, as was her annoyance with Jasper. In the silence of the forest, Cleo felt like she might've returned to who she was.

   She gripped the ax in her hand tightly, her fingers turning white as they held the handle. The group moved quietly through the forest, no one daring to make a single noise until they heard a noise.

   Their heads turned simultaneously, their ears picking up quickly on the first noise heard in a while. Hiding between the trees was a black boar – or what Cleo assumed was a boar. There weren't any more livestock on the ark, or animals for that matter. The only animals she had ever seen were in pictures or in videos.

   The sight of a live animal in front of her filled with joy and excitement. She almost didn't want to kill it, but the thought of food made her stomach churn hungrily.

   Bellamy shushed the group, holding a hand up to tell them to stay still. "She's mine."

   They all stayed behind him as he drew his arm back to throw his weapon, but just as he was about to release, a twig snapped loudly behind them. The boar squealed, running off with surprising speed and Bellamy turned, throwing the knife quickly. It embedded itself into a tree trunk, inches away from a little girl's face. Charlotte's face.

   The adrenaline in dancing in her body began to slow down as the others shot off after the boar.

   "Who the hell are you?" Bellamy asked, annoyance in his voice as he went to withdraw his ax.

   "Charlotte." She looked up to Cleo, emotions swirling in her eyes before she looked back to Bellamy.

   "I almost killed you," he said with concern. "Why aren't you back at camp?"