⋅⋆ xvi.

𝟎𝟏𝟔. ❝ WHAT FREEDOM FELT LIKE. ❞

     — IT WAS AN ODD COMFORT TO HAVE, BUT BEING EMBRACED IN A HUG DID WONDERS FOR THE SOUL

     — IT WAS AN ODD COMFORT TO HAVE, BUT BEING EMBRACED IN A HUG DID WONDERS FOR THE SOUL. With her arms wrapped around Harper, they stood outside the half-built wall, staring at the graves. She hadn't cried yet, but she was sure she would once she saw the sun again.

   "Are you okay?" Harper whispered.

   "Yeah, I'm okay." The lie slipped from her mouth. "I'm fine."

   Harper had been the first person she found when she got back. Bellamy went off into the camp, Clarke and Finn went to the dropship and Cleo went to Harper. She hadn't been the best friend in the past week, but her old cellmate had a heart kinder than hers. She had dropped everything to comfort Cleo, taking her away from the noise and the chaos to calm her down.

   "Thank you, for still being my friend."

   "Cleo Ramona Wendell," Harper said, drawing back with a teasing smile on her lips. "I will never stop being your friend, no matter what. We were in prison together, that's a bond nobody can break."

   Cleo gave a soft laugh, pulling away from Harper's arms and running a hand through her hair. It was greasy and unwashed, which did nothing but gross her out — but that was the world they lived in.

   They headed back to camp, arms wrapped around each other's waist. As they crossed into camp, walking past the half-built wall, a shout to look at the sky got their attention. Through the treetops and the leaves, Cleo could see the sky. She watched a shooting star zoom across the stars. The faintest trace of a smile ghosted on her lips, and before she could point it out to Harper, it started to burn brighter.

   "That's not a meteor," she said. "Come on."

   They unlinked, marching into camp as other kids around them began to spot the blazing ship in the sky.