⋅⋆ xviii.

𝟎𝟏𝟖. ❝ A HOPEFUL SMILE. ❞

     — HER SOCKS WERE WET AND IT WAS WITHOUT A DOUBT THE MOST UNCOMFORTABLE SHE HAD BEEN SINCE LANDING. She tried to keep her mom out of her mind and tried to focus on the task at hand. As long as they found the radio in time and told the ark they were alive, nobody would die. Her mom wasn't dead yet, all she had to do was make sure she told her that she was still alive.

   "Cleo," Bellamy approached her, standing on the shore of the river.

   "Not now, Bellamy." She turned away from him, ignoring the water seeping into her shoes.

   If her mother died, she didn't know if she'd ever forgive him.

   "Hey, I found it!"

   They turned to the delinquent who'd found it and rushed over, Raven taking it from his hands and examining it as thoroughly as she could. Cleo could feel her stomach twisting and tightening, hoping that it could be fixed.

   "Can you fix it?" Clarke asked, coming up to the group.

   "Maybe," Raven responded. "But it'll take half the day just to dry out the components to see what's broken."

   "Like I said – it's too late." Bellamy's voice was almost laced with concern, almost.

   Cleo could feel the anger spike in the gut of her stomach, terror swirling around with the other emotion. "You've really got some nerve, talking to us like it's our fault that you're a selfish jerk."