⋅⋆ xv.

𝟎𝟏𝟓. ❝ INTO DARKNESS. ❞

     — AS THE SUN SET, THE FOREST FELL INTO DARKNESS AND CLEO WAS BEING DRAGGED ALONG FOR THE RIDE

     — AS THE SUN SET, THE FOREST FELL INTO DARKNESS AND CLEO WAS BEING DRAGGED ALONG FOR THE RIDE. Dax stood behind her and two other boys stood around her sides, making sure she wouldn't be taking off. Talking to Murphy was unsuccessful – obviously. His anger had taken over his body, his mind focusing on one thing and one thing only – Charlotte.

   "Charlotte!" He screamed for the thousandth time that night. "You can't hide from me!"

   Cleo's feet were aching, forcing her to stumble with each step she took. The roots of the trees were harder to see in the dark and the light that emitted from the torches only let them see so much. Dax's hand went to grip Cleo's arm, steadying her, but she quickly wrangled herself out of his grip.

   "I've got it!" She snapped.

   Dax mumbled something incoherently, but she couldn't have cared less. He was just as bloodthirsty as Murphy was, waiting for the moment he could string up a kid. It wasn't surprising to anyone, considering he had been locked up because of murder.

   "What's going on back there?" Murphy stopped in his tracks, turning to see the commotion.

   "Nothing, your royal highness," Cleo said dryly. "Back to the manhunt so we can kill a kid."

   Murphy clenched his jaw tightly before turning away and continuing to walk. Dax came up behind Cleo threateningly, but she had had enough of his antics. If he was going to kill her, he should do it soon.

   "Back off," she ordered, pushing him away with her hand.

   His torch got dangerously close to her hair, which hung around her shoulders in messy waves. She waved it off, crossing her arms and stalking towards the front of the group. They had been in the forest for hours now, leaving as soon as Murphy realized Bellamy had left. He had been furious when he realized Cleo had been stalling him to give them a headstart and brought her along for – she didn't know yet, but it couldn't be anything good.