⋅⋆ xxiv.

𝟎𝟐𝟒. ❝ FAMILY TRADITION. ❞

 — ON HER WAY TO CLARKE, SHE MET UP WITH BELLAMY WHO HAD HIS AX OUT LIKE HE'D GOTTEN INTO A FIGHT

— ON HER WAY TO CLARKE, SHE MET UP WITH BELLAMY WHO HAD HIS AX OUT LIKE HE'D GOTTEN INTO A FIGHT. She eyed it suspiciously before looking away when they reached Clarke. Her eyes watched her bent down, wiping away some grass and plants to reveal a steel door. It looked untouched like the rest of the grounds and the sight made Cleo's breath hitch in her throat.

   "I think it's rusted shut," Clarke strained as she tried to open the door.

   "It looks like it hasn't seen the light of day in years," Cleo commented as Bellamy warned them to move.

   "It probably hasn't been," the other girl replied. "So hopefully, that means there'll be supplies for us, maybe even a shelter."

   "And blankets," Cleo joked, watching Bellamy expertly use his ax to hack open the door.

   Bellamy's eyes rolled – less annoyed than before, but still annoyed nonetheless. "Give me a hand."

   Clarke and Cleo grabbed a rusty handle, pulling up with all their strength. The door finally gave way, creaking open loudly when they pulled it up. The door showed a dark stairwell that looked anything but inviting – in fact, Cleo thought it looked rather sinister. She exchanged looks with the other two before swallowing her fear and being the first to the steps down.

   Once all three of them were down the stairs, Clarke handed out small lights to each of them. The makeshift flashlights only lit up so much, but Cleo much preferred having them instead of wandering around in the dark.

   "Really think this place hasn't been touched since the war?" Bellamy asked like he didn't believe it.

   "A girl can dream," Clarke sighed. "Let's have a look around."

   She led the way down and Bellamy brought up the rear, forcing Cleo in the middle. Each step they took in the cold bunker echoed ominously, putting an unease in her bones. She was grateful that the trip was taking her mind off of her mother, who she knew would haunt her for the rest of her life. Having a day trip to keep her busy was just what she needed - and just as she was about to thank Clarke for bringing her along, they hit a staircase.