Chapter 11

Allyson and Oscar walked onward across Haddonfield, the cold air eating away at their skin as they walked. Their bodies were close together, and Oscar remained drunk, but was still able to talk to Allyson about how now ex-boyfriend, Cameron. He was a dick and Allyson had only seen it now.

"This is an amazing night, right?! Don't you just love Cameron?" Oscar spoke up, he laughed loudly.

Allyson sighed. "No, Oscar. I think he's a jerk".

"He's cool. So bad ass. But I can tell you're pissed about your phone. He plopped it into the chili con queso". He said. "Classic Cameron!"

"I'm tired of people letting me down. You give them the benefit of the doubt and think they're going to be different, but then they show you who they truly are. Cameron doesn't want people to judge him, but then he acts like a jerk. Gets drunk, gets arrested".

Oscar stops. She turns. 

Oscar speaks, "You deserve better. You're the smartest, most beautiful girl at school. Anyone that doesn't appreciate that is crazy"

She considers this and smiles.

"Thanks, Oscar. That's sweet".

"I know a shortcut". He says. "Let's go".

Behind them, Hawkins squad car drives by as they cut between two houses.

Oscar jumps over the black iron fence into a backyard. He awkwardly handles his beer. He sets it down and looks around. In the moonlight, he makes out the fence way at the opposite  end. Allyson climbs up to cross over.  He looks at the house. Mr. Elrod would be pissed that kids are crossing through his yard again.

"Watch out for the poison ivy. It's all over." Says Oscar.

"This is a dumb short cut!"

Oscar laughs. "Treacherous. Let me give you a hand".

Oscar reaches up to help her down from the fence. She almost slips. He catches her and lowers her down safely. 

"Thanks". Allyson whispers, she doesn't want to wake the owner of the house.

He doesn't let go of her hand. Instead he grins oddly at her and she notices.

"What're you doing?" She asks, backing up.

"You deserve better." He awkwardly leans in to kiss her on the lips. 

"Ew. Oscar. What the fuck?!" She says loudly, her voice full of anger.

She pushes him off. Oscar realizes what just happened.

"Wait, I thought you said you weren't with Cameron anymore?" Oscar asked.

"Doesn't mean I want- Get away from me!" she said angrily.

"I thought you were sending me signals!"

 "Definitely no signals. Just go!" She walks off into the darkness of the yard. He follows desperately. "Asshole".

Full of embarrassment, Oscar chases after her, "I'm sorry. Please don't tell * Cameron I did that. I didn't feel anything either"

"You're disgusting. I'm going home. You need to figure your shit out" she said. She walks off, leaving him standing there.

"I'm drunk. Like... really drunk, and I got all horny at the party, I was dancing with some girl, this way out of my league girl and my brain got all sexed up, and her tits got me totally chubbed out when she was feeding me guacamole in sexy ways--" Oscar drops his case of beer. One of them sprays. "Shit!" he half yells, the liquid raining down.

Cans roll out. He scrambles to pick them up. He looks up and sees the Shape standing twenty feet away.

"Happy Halloween, Mr. Elrod. Cool mask. Sorry... I'm not trying to trespass on your shit, I was just talking to this pretty girl over there. It's just... I guess, I always kind of liked her. And I know she's bummed out about Cameron so I thought maybe... Stupid,  right?" he says drunkenly. 

The Shape stands. No response.

"Okay. Peace out".

At the far side of the yard, Allyson makes it to the six foot black iron fence and starts to climb. She grabs one of the sharp metal spikes that jut from the top and pulls her hand. It's slightly precarious but she's careful to avoid the iron spikes as she climbs over. She drops to the other side and walks down an alley. Disappointed. 

Oscar pulls himself up, the motion light comes on again. He looks around and sees nobody.

"Yo! Where'd you go, bro? You're acting super sketchy right now".

He's confused and looks over his shoulder as he walks again to cross the yard. He runs straight into The Shape and gasps. 

He drops a beer can as a knife is raised. He puts his arm up.

Down the alleyway, Allyson stops when she hears a loud scream from Oscar rip through the cold air. She looks around slowly.

Oscar is running across the yard, blood is coming from his wound. He reaches the iron fence and rattles the gate loudly. He knows The Shape is behind him. He doesn't look back until he starts climbing up. His red cape gets stuck on the iron and he panics. His voice goes far as he pleads for help. Oscar sees him draw closer with the knife raised. He stabs him in the back hard and grabs hard at his feet. Oscar loses the battle and sinks down onto the iron fence, his jaw becoming pierced with the iron spike.

In the darkness, Allyson arrives at the fence and looks up to faintly see Oscar. 

He chokes and gags, gargling blood. Allyson starts to hyperventilate and turns her head to see the yard. For a split second she sees The Shape standing on her side of the fence, holding a knife. the lights go off. She screams and runs like hell. Allyson runs faster than she's ever run before... Out of the darkness into the open neighborhood.

The Shape watches from a distance as she runs. He follows after her.